UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > General Issues

Old 09-10-17, 06:49 PM   #11
marshall41332

Paul, depending where you are in Surrey, Certas Energy at Adhurst Industrial Estate, just over the border in Hampshire, supply kerosene and fuel oils in different blends, they certainly used to supply 25 litre cans for our rocket space heater in the workshop... Worth a try!

BB, Matt
marshall41332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 07:36 PM   #12
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

I've used Certas many a time (formerly EMO oil) when I was working for the hospital, never had a problem with them - always on time and helpful to deal with.

I haven't found Kerro to work so well in pressure lamps, fine for wick burners though.

Managed to get Paraffin from the garden centre, and spent a while talking engines having been recognized from the times the engine club had a display there...

Phill.
wolseley phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 08:00 PM   #13
ListerHA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolseley phill View Post
I haven't found Kerro to work so well in pressure lamps, fine for wick burners though.

Phill.
I've used Kerro since the 70s and appeared to be no difference. I put down a slightly reduced light output to the change from Thorium mantles some time later?
ListerHA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 08:36 PM   #14
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

Perhaps it was the quality of the fuel I used, but I found pressure lamps difficult to light when burning kerro and I got through several mantles in the process... they seem to last forever with paraffin.

Phill.
wolseley phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 08:49 PM   #15
1956ld1

paraffin is more refined meaning it is better suited for lamp and heaters as the char and sulfur content is lower then kero. kero is fine for engines but i wouldnt recommend in lamps
also I find some kero is a little thinner in viscosity then others resulting in pressure lamps and stoves not running right on it. As i said it depends on the purpose... My cheapest supplier of paraffin in ireland is 35 euro fo 16 litres ( 4x4l containers). I got 10 litres of what appeared to be paraffin when I was in france, it was 5 euro for a 5 litre container- might be worth getting some if your going on holiday anytime soon... If paraffin is not available for wicked lamps or heaters, undyed road diesel is the safest equivalent compared to dyed kero. My information is based on my own experiments on my stoves, heaters and lamps so if its for an engine that you need kero for, then sorry :)

Last edited by 1956ld1; 09-10-17 at 08:59 PM. Reason: insufficent information
1956ld1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 11:26 PM   #16
skint

i was after the paraffin for a petter handyman
will try paraffin and heating oil and see what it runs on best,
Some say to put some petrol in with the paraffin
cheers Paul
Old 10-10-17, 09:18 AM   #17
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by skint View Post
i was after the paraffin for a petter handyman
will try paraffin and heating oil and see what it runs on best,
Some say to put some petrol in with the paraffin
cheers Paul
Let us know which you prefer. I have tried both Paraffin and Kerosene heating oil in the IP, there is no difference to running, the only difference is paraffin smells a bit sickly, and costs a lot more. To me it came down to the smell and cost, and ready availability of kero, there is a filling station near me sells it from the pump.

1929 Ruston-Hornsby 6 AP, 1925 Ruston-Hornsby 5 IP.
PuttPuttBang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-17, 10:18 AM   #18
novo

I remember when most hardware shops did paraffin rounds. Most people had a Paraffin heater or two. Our outside loo had a sump heater burning all through the winter to stop the water freezing.(You didnt hang about in there in the winter) I use 28 second from the pump in a fairly local rural petrol station to mix TVO for my tractors.--- 4 gall 28sec/ 1gall petrol/1pint diesel.---- I use 2stroke oil instead of diesel. I tried 28sec in a B/Railways train lamp a while back & found it very smoky.