UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section > Events / Rallies General

Old 24-05-18, 10:36 AM   #1
Paul_Sterling

Default Mainforth Annual Vintage Rally Weekend 16th 17th June 2018

Morning all,

The Annual DCVCS Vintage Rally Weekend at Mainsforth is on the 16th 17th June this year.

Though I am not a member of this group, it is a great little show, which desperately needs some new exhibitors and variety to help bring in new audiences and spread the word of the good work the DCVCS does.

The show accommodates basically anything vintage, so not just stationary engines, and has a mixture of Engines, tractors, trucks, buses, bikes, motorbikes and crafts. there is a small autojumble, entertainment on the evening, and space on site for camping.

Even if you are not available to exhibit, please pass the word around, as you may be able to drum up visitors and more exhibitors.

I can send entry forms to those who need them.

Last year saw fantastic weather conditions, and Engine exhibits as diverse as a Truck mounted Ruston XHR, a Petter powered Can crusher, engines as small as a Villier Mar-vil, and exhibits as big as a Cummins NT11 powered wrecker.

The site is flat and easy to get around, and is beautifully maintained by the local parish council. next door is a large nature reserve and thriving wildlife pond.

Thanks, Paul.
Old 11-06-18, 11:13 AM   #2
Paul_Sterling

Hi gents,

a respectful nudge to remind you this event is this weekend coming.

Please consider attending this lovely, but under exhibited rally.

Even if you only come as a spectator, drop by and say hello, i'll be there with a Petter two stroke of some description.

Paul.
Old 12-06-18, 04:21 PM   #3
andybat49

Would come as a spectator Paul, but I limit my driving these days as I have multiple sclerosis and it tires me out too much doing long distance driving.
andybat49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 01:39 PM   #4
Paul_Sterling

Mainsforth went rather well at the weekend.

Stationary Engine section was a fairly thin display, I'd say thin rather than poor, as those who came, barring a single entry ticket engine (which continues to blight our local shows), was very good, with guys who wanted to be there, in attendance. Good interaction with the public, and favourable feedback from paying punters.

The rest of the show was well laid out, and compensated for a significant number of exhibitors (in a number of classes) who booked in, then didn't attend.

We only exhibited on the Sunday, family commitments, and such like meant I would only be there for 1 day, but still had a really good time.

We're hoping that Barnard Castle, and next years show at Mainsforth will be better attended to help draw in the crowds, the DCVCS mentioned to me that they think this years show will leave them £1000 out of pocket, and that dwarfs the potential losses at Barnard Castle.

Pictures will of course be uploaded to the Picture gallery presently.

Paul.
Old 18-06-18, 08:39 PM   #5
Jeff Hall

We're hoping that Barnard Castle, and next years show at Mainsforth will be better attended to help draw in the crowds, the DCVCS mentioned to me that they think this years show will leave them £1000 out of pocket, and that dwarfs the potential losses at Barnard Castle.

Hi Paul, I do hope there are not £1000 down. As this should of been thought of before the club took Barnard Castle over. To me there have spoilt Barny by adding a camping fee for exhibitors, yes itís not a lot and iv payed but a lot of people iv spoke to are not happy or even staying away.

Jeff
Jeff Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-18, 03:27 PM   #6
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hall View Post

Hi Paul, I do hope there are not £1000 down. As this should of been thought of before the club took Barnard Castle over. To me there have spoilt Barny by adding a camping fee for exhibitors, yes itís not a lot and iv payed but a lot of people iv spoke to are not happy or even staying away.

Jeff
Afternoon Jeff,

The £1000 estimated loss is related to Mainsforth only. Barnard Castle costs the group £6000 before the show even opens. Both are excellent shows and each deserve support in their own right.

Every show that is started up comes with a certain amount of risk to the organisers, they can lay out £1000's, only to have no one turn up on the first day, or the weather cause a washout, those are things which cannot be mitigated against, and takes the faith and enthusiasm of hard working organisers to take a chance on.

I don't want to get drawn into a discussion on the camping fee or not, as it should be discussed at the DCVCS meetings.

Paul.