UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Diesel Engine Section

Old 19-12-17, 01:11 AM   #1
basewindow

Default Bamford SD1

Im in the very early stages of resorting a Bamford SD1.

I intend stripping it down completely, or at least what needs doing and repainting etc.

I have checked all the obvious things, dismantled and cleaned the fuel system, pump and injector working etc. Oil ok, tappets, pushrods, valves free and moving, governor linkages freed and moving. Good compression.

Just out of curiosity i wanted to see if it ran before the strip down process. Puffs of smoke from the exhaust on cranking but no start.

Quick question about the fuel timing. In the picture I assume the silver coloured wheel on the right of the pump mount controls the fuel timing and is locked in by the nut? Turning which way retards or advances the timing? Ive cleaned up one flywheel enough to find a TOP marking and a bit before of after (depending on which way youre looking) a line marking,fuel timing line?

I know theres plenty more to check but wanted to get this right first.

Any info or help appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bamford pump1.jpg (39.8 KB, 52 views)
basewindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-17, 03:24 PM   #2
oliver
Forum Supporter 2013

Default sd1

Hi ive found my bamford handbook its not much but there is some useful data .there isn't much printed on bamfords I live 8 miles from where your engine was made .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171219_141439_resized.jpg (61.6 KB, 17 views)
petter m 3hp. mk1.bamford ev1.bernard 8hp. .swan 6.5hp. douglas ft35. bamford sd3. moteur bernard w1, bernard w2,bernard w3,2 bernard wos. bernard d1.bernard k1.bernard b2.bernard c3.bernard d1..ihc m 3hp lister l 1925,listerl l1929,listerlh1935,,baker monitor 1934,lister j 1915,,moteurs deville 1929,bernard k2,bernard d2,crossley 1030,crossley compressor engine 1040,1934 petter S,1929 crossley vo6,motour unie, lister cs 5/1 1953,bernard w13 1949,bernard R2 1926
oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-18, 09:29 AM   #3
basewindow

Sorry posted this in the wrong thread before.

Finally found some time to work on the Bamford today after quite a long while.

Started by stripping off all the fuel system, fuel lines, injector, pump, filter etc, quick lube and clean.

Then all ancillary items from the head, rocker lubrication panels, front, rear and side panels, and exhaust. Again quick clean.

Then put the head on the bench and had a good look.

Found a lovely old wasps nest almost completely blocking and clogging the exhaust valve outlet and exhaust. Combustion chamber pretty sooted up. Inlet value pretty clear. After a good cleaning with wire brushes and various fluids it came up pretty well and both valves, seats and springs looking good. Decided not to completely remove valve assembly at this stage as it seemed to be functioning.

Piston looked quite clean and cylinder didnít appear to have much wear or any pitting.

It didnít seem to have a head gasket as such, copper ring around the cylinder and what looked like sealant around each of the water ports from the head to the water jacket. Assuming there should have been a separate single head gasket???

Drained oil. Removed all the bolts to allow the crank case to pivot, though i havenít tipped it over to expose the innards as yet. Its damn heavy and Iíll need something to support it like a pulley setup.

Just looking through the crank case access door everything seems complete and functioning and well oiled and lubricated.

On to the various covers Iíd removed, degrease and clean and then even a bit of paint.

Many of the bolts donít look original and some have been welded and repaired or modified. On inspection most of the brass fittings a well worn and again soldered, repaired and modified.

The pumps working well along with the injector, although the injector has a bit of pitting on the shaft.

The flywheels and associated governor system had a good clean and lube and appear functional.

At this stage everything looks to be in working order and hopefully it should only be a matter of getting the fuel and valve timing right to get her going. I hope.

Anyway plenty more cleaning and painting to go before she goes back together.

Last photo silver wheel/disc on the side of the fuel pump mount, advances/retards fuel timing???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bamford piston.jpg (174.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg bamford side.jpg (32.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg bamford head painted.jpg (143.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg bamford pump plunger adjuster wheel.jpg (42.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 26-02-18, 09:35 AM   #4
basewindow

One other thing, the head has what looks like an access cover or plate to the combustion chamber. Im sure ive seen pictures where this is held on by bolts via the three holes.

Mine doesnt have any bolts at all, they've possibly been broken off? If so, im not sure whats holding on this plate?

Any ideas anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bamford head cover plate.jpg (176.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 26-02-18, 12:52 PM   #5
danthetangye

Quote:
Originally Posted by basewindow View Post
One other thing, the head has what looks like an access cover or plate to the combustion chamber. Im sure ive seen pictures where this is held on by bolts via the three holes.

Mine doesnt have any bolts at all, they've possibly been broken off? If so, im not sure whats holding on this plate?

Any ideas anyone?
I suspect that the round plug with three holes is threaded in to the head, and that the three holes are for a pin-wrench to remove it. Have you had a good look in the holes with a bright light to see if there is any evidence of threads or sheared off stuff?

Dan
danthetangye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-18, 05:21 PM   #6
oliver
Forum Supporter 2013

The round plate just covers the water chamber encasing the combustion chamber . the 3 studs have been sheared off by the look of things ,the cap has a spigot on it so its a good fit in the head . As regards the wheel for changing injection timing ,rotating it moves the pivot point of the fuel injection pump . it states in the hand book that injection must not occur before 10 degrees tdc .there is a line on the pump plunger that should line up with the pump body window , and this should correspond with the line marked "fire" on the governor side flywheel that is lined up with the vertical line on the cylinder . so basically you use the eccentric adjuster to static time the injection pump.
petter m 3hp. mk1.bamford ev1.bernard 8hp. .swan 6.5hp. douglas ft35. bamford sd3. moteur bernard w1, bernard w2,bernard w3,2 bernard wos. bernard d1.bernard k1.bernard b2.bernard c3.bernard d1..ihc m 3hp lister l 1925,listerl l1929,listerlh1935,,baker monitor 1934,lister j 1915,,moteurs deville 1929,bernard k2,bernard d2,crossley 1030,crossley compressor engine 1040,1934 petter S,1929 crossley vo6,motour unie, lister cs 5/1 1953,bernard w13 1949,bernard R2 1926
Old 28-02-18, 09:17 PM   #7
basewindow

Thanks for the info. Well if the plate just covers the water chamber i can work with that. After a good look it does indeed look like the bolts have been sheared off, but all are recessed inside so it looks like they all sheared off in the same way at the same length.

Where exactly is the 'fire' marking in relation to the fuel timing? Any photos? The flywheel has nothing obvious on the side however there is a clear original 'TDC' lettering and line with arrow heads punched on the surface of the flywheel, there is a also another clear line after that but looks more like a deliberate mark made sometime in the past and not original, and lastly and original looking dotted line punched or machined, but with no wording or lettering. You can see them in the photo but not well.

Per the head gasket, is there supposed to be a single large one? As i said in the earlier post there is just some gasket glue around the water ports on this thing.

Yes Oliver these engines seem particularly rare over here and ive only just seen one other available, spares seem as rare as hens teeth. Has been hard to get much info on these engines over here.

Cheers,
Cam.

Last edited by basewindow; 28-02-18 at 09:30 PM.
basewindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-18, 11:55 PM   #8
oliver
Forum Supporter 2013

The head gasket is just a copper ring as you have ,the water ways are sealed using o rings of a suitable size (some people have used panel gromits to do the job ). The word "fire " is approximately 180 degrees round from the keyway on the flywheel on the governor flywheel .This should line up with a vertical score line on the side of the cylinder ,it's probably covered in paint . I will photo mine and post some pictures for you in the next few days
Old 01-03-18, 05:28 PM   #9
oliver
Forum Supporter 2013

hi there ive braved the snow and ventured into the shed and taken a picture of my sd1 governor side flywheel showing the word fire this is lined up with the vertical line on the side of the block that I have highlighted using some chalk the word" fire" is around 180 from the keyway

https://imgur.com/h2Xr4XJ

Last edited by oliver; 01-03-18 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-03-18, 10:18 PM   #10
basewindow

Snow. What's that? Nice 25c yesterday and 24 today.

Thanks for doing that, makes it much clearer now. I'll have a good look on the flywheel incase the 'fire' mark is still there lurking somewhere.

That should make it easier to get running again when i get to the stage of putting her all back together again.

Good to have someone with some experience with these engines and even have a working example on hand.

Good to know the water ways are just sealed with o-rings, which i have plenty of.

Thanks again

Cam