UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Diesel Engine Section

Old 22-03-09, 02:07 AM   #1
geoff390

Exclamation Coventry victor... ready to be re assembled!

hey all my CV is ready to be reassembled but there are a few issues i have.
this is my youtube channel if you want to check out my videos of the engine so far.

http://www.youtube.com/user/geoff390

I have a manual but nowhere in it tells me of the torque settings for the connecting rod bolts. Could i use the torque settings off a similar sized crankshaft.

Also the ring end gap. The pistons diameter is 80mm and at the moment the ring end gap for the new rings are 21thousands for the compression and oil rings are and the end gap is parallel.

the old gaps were 34thousands for the oil, around 42 thousand for one compression and the other compression ring gap was too big for the feeler gauge to measure.

thanks Geoff
Old 22-03-09, 10:09 AM   #2
antiBRIGGSANDSTRATTON
Forum Supporter 2013

what model is it i have a wd3 and its brilliant
Fowler 1PA,Petter W1H,Stuart P4,Villiers WX11, Single flywheel Lister A, 1931 & 1929 Shafty D's,1929 Bruston D,Wolseley WD2,Superbloc 3hp,Conord F2,1943 Fairbanks ZD,Lister Butter Churn,Brackett pump,Maroilles butter churn, D & F twin pump
antiBRIGGSANDSTRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-09, 10:35 AM   #3
geoff390

the model is AD1
Old 22-03-09, 11:47 AM   #4
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

Hi Geoff, can't help with your torque settings but if it was me then "tight" should be good enough though if we knew the bolt size and thread it would help. Torque settings only really came into the industry in the 1960's, early diesel engine manuals had information like " tight with a 6 inch spanner, or dead tight with a 1 foot bar"! Regarding the ring gap I would think that it's about right, is it aircooled as I am on a tempory computer and can't open your video! If I remember correctly the gap on aircooled's is about 6 thou per inch of bore so 80mm = around 3 3/16 so it isnt far out. My aircooled Wisconsin has a 2 7/8th bore and the gap is around 18thou. Hope this helps.

Pete.
Windrush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-09, 04:01 PM   #5
antiBRIGGSANDSTRATTON
Forum Supporter 2013

oh yeah whats your email i ahve a maniual for your engine as a pdf
Fowler 1PA,Petter W1H,Stuart P4,Villiers WX11, Single flywheel Lister A, 1931 & 1929 Shafty D's,1929 Bruston D,Wolseley WD2,Superbloc 3hp,Conord F2,1943 Fairbanks ZD,Lister Butter Churn,Brackett pump,Maroilles butter churn, D & F twin pump
antiBRIGGSANDSTRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-09, 01:48 AM   #6
geoff390

Hey thanks for the information
My email is geoffrey390@hotmail.com
A 3/8inch nut will turn on the thread about 1/2 a turn then lock so its very close to 3/8 but must have a different pitch thread.