UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > General Transport Section > Member's Vehicles

Old 26-06-17, 08:33 PM   #1
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Default Vehicle Advice....AKA Can of worms....

So managed to put away a sum of money and have been looking to replace my trusty Yaris with something a bit more particle.
The only fixed point is it need to be able to tow 600kg un-braked and up to 7Kish....

So being a Toyota fan I looked at a 07 plate RAV4 2.2 drove alright but nothing special. Like a big version of my Yaris, just fancy something a bit nicer...

So looked else where...BMW X3's are plentiful down here in my price range been looking at 07 plates again with the 2.0d M47 engine (not the N47 with timing chain at the rear...but swirl flap issue is there) yet to try one but it's on the list but would seem they have their issues.

Honda CRV is another I would be sort of used after having a Civic.

Thinking a bit newer there is a Skoda Yeti 1.2 (2011) just above my limit price wise but petrol might be better for my short commute especially as I don't tow that often.

Last is a Hyundai i40 Estate (2011) 1.7 diesel which is the sensible option, 30 a year tax, and it already has a tow bar.... massive though...

Did think about the 08 Subaru Legacy 2.0 boxer diesel but the early one seem to suffer with cranks and or crankshaft bearings...

Sorry to ask on here....fed up asking my old man who's default answers is Toyota or Honda, and figuring there is a few mechanic types around though there would be plenty of views....

Thanks in advance...

Cheers, Steve
Old 26-06-17, 08:39 PM   #2
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Subaru Forester?

Very impressed when we hired one in the USA, and Martin P is well pleased with his diesel that he bought recently.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 08:43 PM   #3
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

None down here in my price range, only one I could afford is the early diesel Legacy and the engine stories are not great, either breaking cranks or spinning bearings in their housing. Had a quick look at the local one tonight, looks like the previous owner liked to hug the curb...Oh could probably afford a 2.5 petrol but couldn't afford to run it.....
Old 26-06-17, 08:44 PM   #4
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Probably better at moving into a big city area to buy, or rural around London.

Peter
Old 26-06-17, 08:45 PM   #5
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362017525875

Peter
Old 26-06-17, 08:46 PM   #6
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
Probably better at moving into a big city area to buy, or rural around London.

Peter
Toyed with the idea of getting the train and seeing a few in a day as cars are a bit dearer down here, could wait to I go NI again as most cars over there come with towbars....
Old 26-06-17, 08:48 PM   #7
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skankin_giant View Post
Toyed with the idea of getting the train and seeing a few in a day as cars are a bit dearer down here, could wait to I go NI again as most cars over there come with towbars....
You would be better off doing that, prices around Manchester are quite good, plenty of cars and a lot of churn with the large population.

Peter
Old 26-06-17, 09:08 PM   #8
Lister M

Steve,

I didn't buy a petrol Forester because I had to be able to afford to run it, the diesel has more grunt as well. I was happy to travel to look at them but was lucky to find my very low mileage vehicle 35 miles from me and I will admit I paid more than the average price to get it but when equivalent age and models were fetching 7000 with 100,000 miles I'm happy, they seem to be keepers and owners only tend to sell when they go over the 100K. I looked at other 4 x 4's but they all had one major problem, my wife couldn't get in them as they were to high off the ground.
I spent this weekend driving around Norfolk visiting Preserved railway sites and managed 46 mpg.

Martin P
Old 26-06-17, 09:12 PM   #9
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

After 2010 they seemed to have sorted the bearing spinning issue of the 08/09 Legacy which is what is up the road from me.
Old 26-06-17, 09:13 PM   #10
Lister M

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
Same spec and interior as mine.

Martin P