UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Restorations Section

Old 15-04-18, 07:49 AM   #321
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

Reading Phil's comments above I am thinking "what is wrong with breeze blocks or bricks rendered or covered in cement, to look like a solid plinth, rather than a solid block of cement" ? This engine will weigh a tonne I believe Phil. Or just leave the bricks exposed. Just thinking aloud.

1929 Ruston-Hornsby 6 AP, 1925 Ruston-Hornsby 5 IP, 1920s 50V GE dynamo.

Last edited by PuttPuttBang; 15-04-18 at 07:53 AM.
PuttPuttBang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-18, 08:45 AM   #322
Appletop

If you built a brick or block box Mark you would then have to wait for that to cure before filling with concrete so what you end up doing is making the job take longer and also making the job more complex. You would still need the reinforcing fibers anyway and your curing time on the block will still be the same.

Potest non melior Petter. milia passuum melius quam Lister
Appletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-18, 09:14 AM   #323
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

There's more to it than just looking like a solid block Mark. To hold the engine still requires a certain amount of mass - one source suggested at least 3 times the weight of the engine. The engine probably isn't a ton, but still "robust"... The block will weigh 1/2 a ton, but by keying it to the floor I drag in the 18 tons of concrete in there. If I was to do anything less the engine would shake it to pieces.
Of course, when portable the "undercarriage" isn't remotely this heavy, but a portable can move, even if it's just a tiny amount.

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-18, 09:46 AM   #324
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletop View Post
If you built a brick or block box Mark you would then have to wait for that to cure before filling with concrete so what you end up doing is making the job take longer and also making the job more complex. You would still need the reinforcing fibers anyway and your curing time on the block will still be the same.
I was thinking of a solid base of bricks Rob, if that makes sense, layer 'em up like a wall. But I think Martin has answered the question - he wants "solid".

1929 Ruston-Hornsby 6 AP, 1925 Ruston-Hornsby 5 IP, 1920s 50V GE dynamo.
PuttPuttBang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-18, 11:35 AM   #325
Dazzla

My 21hp Tangye goes at roughly 2 tons. It sits on 6 tons of concrete, most of which is in the ground (iceberg effect). That's solid enough for running light, and those who've see it running will have also seen the 2p coin that stands on edge on the cylinder without falling over which proves it's not moving. According to works drawings, when it was set up new it was reckoned to need 18 tons of base, though that included the base for the direct coupled dynamo as well.

I've seen engines mounted on bricks. They look nice but can have a tendency to come loose as the continual vibrations shake them free from the mortar.

Solid concrete is the way to go. I'd be inclined to put some weldmesh reinforcing in it though. It's easy to do now, but a right royal pain in the whatsit once the concrete has been poured!

Dazzla