UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > General Transport Section > Towing & Trailers

Old 14-01-11, 06:32 PM   #101
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

After a bit of head-scratching, we sorted out the position of the trolley inside the trailer and ordered the 4.5mm checker plate from "themetalman72" on ebay. Very helpful guy, the metal arrived this afternoon and apart from being nicely packed, it has individual corner protectors on each piece to stop them getting bumped in transit.

The other matter to be resolved was the inner headling of the roof. We will have top hat section roof sticks covered by GRP skin, but we didn't want that to be too intrusive, so we are looking at a glass fibre sheet:

ebay # 170361399089

which is 2mm thick and wipe-clean. That will go on the underside of the roof sticks and we can put insulation in between if we want. The 8' X 4' sheets are not as economical as the 10' X 4' sheets, we need 6 sheets to do the trailer if we use 8X4 but we can do it with 4 of the 10X4 with less wastage. price per sq ft is the same.

We have two opening roof vents to go on top, that will involve a bit of juggling with the roof skin and the roof sticks.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-11, 10:32 PM   #102
Lister John

Hi Peter,

Only problem I can see is if we have a typical wet summer and most rallies being held in fields you might get stuck

With all this weight behind the disco you may need to invest in some mud tyres or request a hard standing for the exhibit!

Can we see some 3D drawings of the trailer?

Another idea here: http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=63011

Old 14-01-11, 10:35 PM   #103
Lister John

Forgot to add:

IIRC in the handbooks Land Rover rate the towing weight to 3500kg's on road but off road depending on conditions this towing capacity goes down.

The mini artic link I posted is worth a look.

John
Old 15-01-11, 09:13 AM   #104
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Hi John:

Had a read of the Transit stuff, very interesting!

The biggest issue for us is that we lose 4WD and the towing capacity if we go to a Transit, based on the ULW of the vehicle.

I'm not sure what the Transit figures are, but the Disco is 3.5T for the trailer, Rangies are more for some models, looks like 2T for the standard RWD T350.

The other problem is that the trailer cannot be moved without the tow vehicle, while the drawbar trailer can always be moved/pulled at any time.

I'd guess that we would stand more chance of getting stuck with the single axle drive on the Transit, albeit double wheels than we would with the Disco.

Although my version of Autocad does have 3D, I haven't had time to do an entirely separate set of drawings in 3D.

Peter
Old 15-01-11, 06:15 PM   #105
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
Hi John:

Had a read of the Transit stuff, very interesting!

The biggest issue for us is that we lose 4WD and the towing capacity if we go to a Transit, based on the ULW of the vehicle.

I'm not sure what the Transit figures are, but the Disco is 3.5T for the trailer, Rangies are more for some models, looks like 2T for the standard RWD T350.

The other problem is that the trailer cannot be moved without the tow vehicle, while the drawbar trailer can always be moved/pulled at any time.

I'd guess that we would stand more chance of getting stuck with the single axle drive on the Transit, albeit double wheels than we would with the Disco.

Although my version of Autocad does have 3D, I haven't had time to do an entirely separate set of drawings in 3D.

Peter
i'd rather be in the disco than a transit mind! much stronger gearbox.

i took your advice Peter, and asked my insurance about the inported motors, and they said because the actual highest risk factor on my poilcy was my age rather than the vehicle they could insure an imported one without any increase in premium, so long as it was RHD, so guess what i've just done.........

Paul.
Old 15-01-11, 07:53 PM   #106
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Way to go!

Peter
Old 15-01-11, 07:57 PM   #107
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
Way to go!

Peter
thanks peter!

its actually been in the country since 1999, but its still solid, interior was tired, and i didnt pay anywhere near what the picture shows, its a 1995 300tdi Auto, like mine, but a year older, much less milage than mine.

pleased i've bought it, the sills on mine are poor, well okay, but would need work soon, this one is very very good underneath, a good steam clean and waxoyl and it will be spot on!

Cheers.
Paul,
Old 16-01-11, 02:03 PM   #108
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

The builders are back this weekend, taking out two flower beds knocking down the low wall in front of the house and concreting over so we have room for the new trailer.

Had to rebuild a manhole surround which was a bit crumbly, but easier to do now while there is room to play.

Took the shot through the upstairs window, so a bit distorted.

Peter
Old 16-01-11, 02:42 PM   #109
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

What one might call a "Maintenance Free Garden" when it is finished Peter, paint it green and imagine that it's a lawn!

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-11, 02:49 PM   #110
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Yep, that and a maintenance-free house are what I like

It was asphalted over some years ago when the council adopted the close and we got the contractors to do our front while they had the materials close by.

We had two raised flower beds then, one each side and you can just see the footings of one of them between the spades in the picture. That went when we did the house roof rebuild, the other went yesterday.

Peter