UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Oil & Gas Engines

Old 11-03-16, 06:04 PM   #11
rourkek4

more photos..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0744.jpg (35.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0635.jpg (65.4 KB, 27 views)
rourkek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-16, 08:30 PM   #12
GasEngine

Gentlemen, thank you very much for the replies.

Dan and Nick; thank you for the eBay and Amazon links - hopefully I'll have something kicking around (I'm feeling tight!) but if not you've saved me searching.

Dazzla; thank you for sharing your experience with the same size engine - off the back of that I've reassembled the front end and it is running and starting well. I'll be interested to see what difference some form of coil will have.

Kevin; thank you for your reply. That repro hot bulb is stunning - rather nicer than mine which is showing its age!
GasEngine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-16, 08:55 PM   #13
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

I believe Andy is right, that is where the coils are in the Blackstone's I have.
I have a manual which is for later engines and is for the engines fitted with the water drip.

The manual refers to the coil as an igniter and is located in the top chamber.
The first Blackstone I restored had coils in both chambers so I thought that was normal. That was a very long time ago and it still has two coils,the others only have one in the top chamber only. One of my engines , the 5hp vertical has the water drip.
My coils are rolled mild steel But I know of others with copper or SS mesh and one that a friend had the chamber was filled with fine SS wire, that engine ran on diesel would idle all day even in cold conditions with out cooling off.

Some of the engines I have worked on for other owners have had the coil in the bottom chamber so I think that in many circumstances it doesn't matter too much where the coil is as they all seem to run OK.
Merv.
mervyn cloake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-16, 09:41 PM   #14
GasEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervyn cloake View Post
I believe Andy is right, that is where the coils are in the Blackstone's I have.
I have a manual which is for later engines and is for the engines fitted with the water drip.

The manual refers to the coil as an igniter and is located in the top chamber.
The first Blackstone I restored had coils in both chambers so I thought that was normal. That was a very long time ago and it still has two coils,the others only have one in the top chamber only. One of my engines , the 5hp vertical has the water drip.
My coils are rolled mild steel But I know of others with copper or SS mesh and one that a friend had the chamber was filled with fine SS wire, that engine ran on diesel would idle all day even in cold conditions with out cooling off.

Some of the engines I have worked on for other owners have had the coil in the bottom chamber so I think that in many circumstances it doesn't matter too much where the coil is as they all seem to run OK.
Merv.
Thank you Merv; I shall experiment!
Old 11-03-16, 11:06 PM   #15
Triumphline

The main coil goes in the upper chamber inside the 'ignitor'. The originals were mild steel wound into a coil (making sure the wound sections do not touch). Steel packing straps off pallets (often used on bricks) works really well. Some of the guys here swear by 'termimesh' a type of stainless mesh. You can put a coil in the lower chamber as well as it can help with heat retention.
Here is a good view of the internals of a damaged vapouriser we cut in half to use as a pattern for new ones:

Patrick
Triumphline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-16, 08:13 AM   #16
GasEngine

Thank you for your reply Patrick. It's jolly interesting to see a real life cross-section of the hot bulb.
Old 12-03-16, 09:44 AM   #17
roger gurney

Default blackstone

i made a coil to go in the bottom chamber of my 2hp hot bulb it seems to help it run better without it cooling when running slower.
i uses steel mesh with tungsten wire from an old electric fire it has never after years of running burn,t away i aso use the same in the top ignitor. i had to make a new one has the original had burnt away
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SV202170.jpg (27.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg SV202172.jpg (43.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 174.jpg (74.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 168.jpg (25.6 KB, 21 views)
roger gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-16, 09:57 AM   #18
roger gurney

Default blackstone

few more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 181.jpg (95.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 183.jpg (50.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 019.jpg (132.1 KB, 35 views)
roger gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-16, 08:12 PM   #19
GasEngine

Roger, thank you for sharing your experience and pictures. It's fair to say your engine is stunning.