UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Restorations Section

Old 24-08-18, 08:54 PM   #671
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

Thanks, I am aiming for Kingsfold but time will tell - it all depends how I get on with the little problem of the oily magneto. Oil is passing from the engine into the magneto and a better seal is obviously needed.

Having finished the tank, it's just water and electrical connections, then I'll want to give it a good couple of hours test run under load before I take it out anywhere.

The bolts will probably get painted when it's all finishes, always a nightmare keeping brightwork rust free so I'm quite happy to paint such things now.

Phill.
wolseley phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-18, 09:15 PM   #672
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

I made my seal from very firm closed cell foam, thicker than needed, so it compresses to form a seal, a section of black plastic drain or waste pipe to give a hard outer edge, hole in the middle is a tight fit on nose of magneto.
It has never passed even a mist of oil, let alone a drip.

Neil.
Old 07-09-18, 08:51 PM   #673
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

This weekend I was supposed to be taking an engine to a beer festival at a local steam railway - with a week to go they decided there wasn't room for the stationary engines! Very disappointing as I was looking forward to the weekend away, but it has given me some time to get various jobs done.

The petrol tank from the Stuart Turner required a final coat of paint, I wasn't happy with the finish. This morning I flatted off the brushed finish and set up to spray the final coat instead, achieving a satisfactory finish this time.

Untitled by Phillip Sheppard, on Flickr

The paint was hard enough to assemble the tank carefully this evening and fit to the engine, it will probably get at least a week before seeing any fuel.

Phill.
Old 10-09-18, 11:45 AM   #674
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

Pleased to report a leak free tank, so far anyway! Loctite 542 would seem to be the answer.

Phill.
Old 10-09-18, 11:52 AM   #675
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolseley phill View Post
Pleased to report a leak free tank, so far anyway! Loctite 542 would seem to be the answer.

Phill.
Its good stuff Phill,I had problems sealing a pressure vessel that had a 3" bsp thread and flange at one end. The thread had been turned rather than cut with a pipe threading machine, so didn't have the right amount of taper, and wouldn't seal with thread tape, irrespective of how tight it was assembled. The Locate 542 certainly sorted it out, and it still works well now after a few durability heat cycles.

Paul.