UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Diesel Engine Section

Old 28-08-18, 11:07 PM   #51
Dan_pt
Forum Supporter 2011

I revisited this engine tonight and after lashing up a fuel tank and bleeding the fuel system out it started on the second attempt which was pleasing. I have concluded that it still appears to be running too fast. I have backed the governor adjustment off as far as possible but it has made little difference to the speed.
Is there a static set up process for these such as shims between the pump and crankcase or a certain position for the governor adjusters? There are no shims fitted to my engine and as it relies on pump stroke to control the speed I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to shim the pump up a bit to effectively reduce the stroke.
What are peoples opinions on this?

Dan.
Dan_pt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-18, 07:14 AM   #52
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

I reckon it can't do any harm to try it. It wouldn't take 2 minutes to cut some shims from a biscuit tin, just to try.

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-18, 10:08 AM   #53
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

Not something I have tried but it sounds logical - presumably adding shims beneath the pump would retard the injector timing too?

Phill.
wolseley phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-18, 11:22 AM   #54
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Is it running above it's normal operating speed or just faster than you would like Dan?

NHH
nickh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-18, 11:31 AM   #55
motorenbau
Forum Light User

Hello

These engines usually have a fixed speed. The MAH 714 is supposed to run at 1250 rpm, the MAH 716 at 1000 rpm. If you wanted an engine with variable speed, you had to order an additional "speed adjustment assembly" ("Drehzahlverstellung" in German). See drawing from spare parts list. It should not be too hard to build.

You can also put heavier balls in the speed gouvernor or install a gouvernor spring with less tension.

Christian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MAH714_16_Drehzahlverstellung.jpg (37.1 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by motorenbau; 29-08-18 at 11:37 AM.
motorenbau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-18, 12:28 PM   #56
Dan_pt
Forum Supporter 2011

Thanks for the replies.
The speed is not excessive for the engine, it is just that I would like to run it a bit slower as it sounds frenetic to me.
I never realised that they were rated to 1250 rpm!
Phill, the speed is controlled using a sliding tapered cam to vary the pumps stroke, the pump really is basic with just a couple of valves and a plunger. I don't think that shimming it would affect the timing.

I like the idea of fitting an adjuster to the control rod.... Thanks for the diagram Christian.

Dan.
Dan_pt is online now   Reply With Quote