UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Welcome! > Newbies, introduce yourself...

Notices

Old 13-06-11, 03:41 PM   #11
fredfedfred
Forum Light User

If it is something else do you think I could use the points to trigger some kind of external ignition Source
fredfedfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-11, 04:00 PM   #12
misterlister
Banned

battery and coil, like in a car. but if it was running before it was left, then prob points
misterlister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-11, 11:23 PM   #13
fredfedfred
Forum Light User

Ok thanks ill try it tonigt and let you know it she works again
regardsbtrenton
Old 14-06-11, 08:56 AM   #14
smenkhare
Forum Supporter 2011

Default Emery cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfedfred View Post
What's emery cloth???
thanks for the help btw
I don't knw much about how these moters work could you explain how cleaning the points helps get the spark back
trenton
Emery is a form of carborundum and is very abrasive. Coating a thin layer of emery powder on a stout cloth gives an abrasive surface which is flexible and does not tear easily in use. It is also coated on to paper like glass powder but does not wear out like glass paper and lasts a lot longer.
Emery should be avoided at all costs for cleaning points, the carborundum powder penetrates into the metal and can block the flow of electrical current. The best thing for this job is a points file which is a very thin, narrow metal sheet which is coated with diamond dust. It will clean up the points brilliantly.
I have one but I don't know where you can buy one nowadays.

Jim.
smenkhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-11, 10:01 AM   #15
fredfedfred
Forum Light User

ok guys some good news and some bad
bad is it still is refusing to spark
good is that i can feel a significant change in the electricity that is coming out
any other ideas maby some kind of earthing wire to the cylinder head???
Old 14-06-11, 10:11 AM   #16
Mowersman
Forum Supporter 2012

Right lets start from the basics...
What type of spark plug cap is on there, is it a resistive type, a picture of it would help.
Do you have a multimeter, that would help considerably. If not, QD do a cheapo one for about 6
Are the points definatly closing fully, check using a batery and bulb.
Also are they correctly insulated when open, again check with the battery and bulb.
Is the flywheel fitted, if so, it may be a good idea to take it out and give everything under there a good clean, plus take some photos, as we can than help more.
Andrew
BTW, the BSA may not be the best engine for a gokart, its not exactly what I'd call powerfull, about 3.25HP if IIRC
Old 14-06-11, 01:37 PM   #17
fredfedfred
Forum Light User

got some pics yes do have a pretty good multi metre
could use the setting on it to see if the circut is being completed and how much resistance its getting through the points

and just so you know im from western australia

ummm no idea how to put up photos so ill put them on a photo gallery and put a link here
ok here is the link to the gallery with the photos

http://trentonsonlinephotos.smugmug....7559591_HVsScm
Old 14-06-11, 02:09 PM   #18
fredfedfred
Forum Light User

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlister View Post
battery and coil, like in a car. but if it was running before it was left, then prob points

How would I get a coil to do this is it as simple as put the coil on the battery and pull the string. Do you think it would make it easyier to start??
Old 14-06-11, 06:04 PM   #19
Mowersman
Forum Supporter 2012

Possibly a bit, but then you have the hassle of a battery.
Check the resistance between the HT lead and some slean metal with your multimeter on the 10k or 20k ohms setting.
Andrew
Old 14-06-11, 06:48 PM   #20
mo3mini
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by smenkhare View Post
Emery is a form of carborundum and is very abrasive. Coating a thin layer of emery powder on a stout cloth gives an abrasive surface which is flexible and does not tear easily in use. It is also coated on to paper like glass powder but does not wear out like glass paper and lasts a lot longer.
Emery should be avoided at all costs for cleaning points, the carborundum powder penetrates into the metal and can block the flow of electrical current. The best thing for this job is a points file which is a very thin, narrow metal sheet which is coated with diamond dust. It will clean up the points brilliantly.
I have one but I don't know where you can buy one nowadays.

Jim.
I picked up a points file at Halfords just before christmas..... still in use and gives great results