UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Restorations Section

View Poll Results: How Fast Is The Ruston 1ZHR Running?
Under 300rpm 0 0%
300rpm to 400rpm 4 13.79%
400rpm to 500rpm 12 41.38%
500rpm to 600rpm 13 44.83%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27-02-09, 09:45 PM   #21
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Couple of things turned up today.

The trolley was dug out of the bramble bushes and we collected it on the trailer. We had to shoot straight off after leaving the trailer at the factory, so no pictures yet.

Looks like it could have been a crop sprayer or something like that.

One wheel rim is damaged, chassis looks pretty good and the steering pin looks well rusted in!

Collected a Lister Start-O-Matic alternator from Luton, which is one of the reasons we had to get going, we also had other things to organise.

Thinking along the lines of running the S-O-M unit off the Ruston, and using the S-O-M unit to start it as well. The control stuff is easily done, we don't need the auto-start function and we can arrange voltage control for the charging side.

Have a pair of 12V 105AH batteries doing nothing, the S-O-M unit needs new bearings and possibly brushes, but nothing is damaged and it spins over OK. The speed is 1:4 (375:1500) so a fairly large twin groove pulley is going to be needed to get the alternator spinning at the correct speed.

Starting to gell a bit now there's some hardware on the floor!

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trolley1.jpg (97.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Trolley2.jpg (82.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Trolley3.jpg (92.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Trolley4.jpg (92.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg SOM1.jpg (89.9 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by listerdiesel; 28-02-09 at 10:13 AM.
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-09, 10:31 PM   #22
rustynut
Forum Light User

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post

Thinking along the lines of running the S-O-M unit off the Ruston, and using the S-O-M unit to start it as well. The control stuff is easily done, we don't need the auto-start function and we can arrange voltage control for the charging side.

Peter
Hi Peter, any chance of a how to on the SOM gen, I have one without the control box, I just have the box that sits on top of the gen. Not looked at it yet but know it's gonna be a bit of a task to sort it out when the time comes.

Darren
rustynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-09, 11:05 PM   #23
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

If you have just the contactor box, then you're in the same boat as me.

You don't need the control box to run the alternator etc., but you do need to provide signals for starting etc.

There are a number of different versions of the control box and alternator:

The differences are described as MkI and MKII switch gear control units, inside which there are two main differences, one has a current transformer and one has a variable resistor to pick off the feed to the rectifier.

I'll get some pictures sorted.

The Alternator type is 7R4QR for the MkI and 6S4QR for the MkII, I think this is on the type plate on the alternator body.

Peter
Old 28-02-09, 08:03 AM   #24
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Scans of the two different wiring diagrams.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SomMan25.jpg (95.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg SomMan26.jpg (93.4 KB, 56 views)
Old 01-03-09, 02:08 AM   #25
rustynut
Forum Light User

Thanks for the info Peter, not sure which one mine is and I'll have a look tomorrow.

Those pics confirm it, very frightening !!!

I'll try to have a better look at them, if I can build exotic valve amplifiers I should be able to figure it out. But then again perhaps not !!!
rustynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 09:29 AM   #26
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Ah, an EL34/807 type eh?

There are 5 control connections and then the DC and AC connections.

You need to make sure that you have the control and field connections marked up before you start.

I'll try and get into my top box later, it's the end of the month and we have a lot to get delivered tomorrow, so I'll be at the factory today.

Peter
Old 02-03-09, 09:13 AM   #27
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

The control box had half a garden growing inside, together with spiders and snails!

Gave it a bit of a clean out, looks like it is the later one with the current transformer inside.

The large finned object at the top is the metal rectifier (replaceable by a modern silicon equivalent that is 1/10th the size) on the right of that is the starter solenoid which connects the batter to the starting windings and brushes, below that are the input terminals for the batteries and the input fuse (piece of wire between the big terminals) to the left in the lower centre is the current transformer, then the compound trimming resistor in the bottom left-hand corner, and the main field resistor above that.

The cables that go to the S-O-M alternator go down through the grommeted hole to the left of the battery terminals.

Realistically, it would be easier to build a new, smaller box than restore this one. Apart from the transformer itself, all the other parts we can replace with smaller modern units and make the whole thing much more compact. I'll need to talk with David Harris and find out what the dissipation of the field resistor is so that I can get a replacement.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ControlBox1.jpg (97.2 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg ControlBox2.jpg (97.6 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by listerdiesel; 02-03-09 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-03-09, 10:41 PM   #28
charlielisterd2

how much does it cost to run one of them
charlielisterd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 08:44 AM   #29
Invalid_login
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
Realistically, it would be easier to build a new, smaller box than restore this one. Apart from the transformer itself, all the other parts we can replace with smaller modern units and make the whole thing much more compact. I'll need to talk with David Harris and find out what the dissipation of the field resistor is so that I can get a replacement.
Peter
May be wrong here but would you replace part of the engine with "smaller modern parts ?" would you change the engine around to make it "more compact ?" Fair enough replace that seleniuim rectifier if it doesn't work or burned out resistors/windings. You can't see the electrics but then there are a lot of other (mechanical) things invisible too, those compnents are just as much part of the whole setup. Just a thought = sorry.

Ken
Old 03-03-09, 05:43 PM   #30
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlielisterd2 View Post
how much does it cost to run one of them
Haven't a clue if I were to be honest, but they are pretty good on fuel, much the same as the equivalent vertical Lister etc.

For rallying, fuel consumption isn't really a consideration (unless it absolutely gulps it down!)

Peter