UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Restorations Section

View Poll Results: How Fast Is The Ruston 1ZHR Running?
Under 300rpm 0 0%
300rpm to 400rpm 4 13.79%
400rpm to 500rpm 12 41.38%
500rpm to 600rpm 13 44.83%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23-02-09, 02:58 PM   #11
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthetangye View Post
No need for that unless you are planning on running it in really cold temperatures... My 1ZHR starts easily on the handle on half compression even in winter, and that's only got one flywheel fitted at the moment.

Regards

Dan
That's interesting, I've never managed to start mine without a glowing starter, even when warm. What's the secret? Mine has two flywheels which make it a bit of a dog to turn over initially, but once rolling it will not start unless it has a starter inside.

Peter
listerdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-09, 06:37 PM   #12
spanners1970
Forum Supporter 2011

hi peter

i never start mine with a glow start either
just oil her up and give a couple of pumps on the injector lever ,,swing it and drop the decompressor and injector lever and away she goes
mind you it wont go on half compression has to be on full
i think it would go on half if it had glow starter
cheers
karl
spanners1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-09, 06:49 PM   #13
danthetangye

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
That's interesting, I've never managed to start mine without a glowing starter, even when warm. What's the secret? Mine has two flywheels which make it a bit of a dog to turn over initially, but once rolling it will not start unless it has a starter inside.

Peter
As Karl says, a couple of pumps on the injector handle, spin it up on the handle and drop the decompressor in. Yours is an ex-college engine so I doubt there's much wear in the bore, perhaps your injection timing is a bit retarded?

My Tangye AWH4 15hp is more of a challenge on the handle as it has an automatic decompressor that drops out after 4 revs whether you are ready or not!

Regards

Dan
danthetangye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-09, 06:55 PM   #14
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Probably its the owner that's retarded, not the engine!

I don't recall a decompressor lever, but the exhaust valve does have a lever that can be held down for rolling it over. How do you hold that open and crank it at the same time?

Am I missing something in the way of a lockout or something like that?

Peter
Old 23-02-09, 07:24 PM   #15
spanners1970
Forum Supporter 2011

hi peter

if you look at the pic of my 2hr there is a lever on top of the air intake which holds open the inlet valve
it is on a sort of sprung loaded cam which enables it to have a on and off
i have looked at the pics of yours on your website but yours is different setup altogether
i would assume that there would be a way to decompress yours to enable sufficient speed for starting
it may be that 2 are required to start it
according to my instruction book 2 men are required to start mine using 2 starting handles lol
just me and my 8 year old start mine,,,i swing it and he drops the hammer lol
cheers
karl
Old 23-02-09, 08:40 PM   #16
danthetangye

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
Probably its the owner that's retarded, not the engine!

I don't recall a decompressor lever, but the exhaust valve does have a lever that can be held down for rolling it over. How do you hold that open and crank it at the same time?

Am I missing something in the way of a lockout or something like that?

Peter
There is a decompressor lever on the air inlet valve on mine as well as the half-compression cam on the exhaust. Can be seen in this pic: http://www.tangye.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1553

From the pics on your site, it looks as though yours is different without the inlet decompressor, probably because it had air start? http://www.oldengine.org/members/die...HR/Ruston9.htm

The easy way to get around it is to make a slip piece that fits in between the exhaust cam and follower to hold it open whilst cranking - fit a piece of chain to it so you can yank it out when it is up to starting speed.

Regards

Dan
Old 23-02-09, 09:26 PM   #17
admin
Administrator

Thanks for that, Dan, looks like I have a different beast all together!

What ages are we talking about for your (Dan and Karl) engines?

Mine is ex Abingdon Technical College, but has a build date of 1964, one of the last HR's they built.

The small HR's never had air start according to Ray Hooley, the 2HR was the smallest they made with it, but the college may have had electric starting as part of their rig, I don't know.

Is that one of yours (Dan) ex - Mick Mills?

Peter
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-09, 09:32 PM   #18
spanners1970
Forum Supporter 2011

hi peter
my engine was made in 1934 and supplied to cairnbulg castle

have took pic of bit in HR book

cheers
karl
Old 23-02-09, 09:50 PM   #19
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Well, mine hasn't got the decompressor as far as I can see.

The instruction book says that 1HR and 1XHR owners should hold the exhaust valve open while cranking, then allow it to close when the flywheels are up to speed.

1YHR and 1ZHR owners should use the eccentric on the inlet valve fulcrum to hold the valve open.

I need to discuss this with Ray Hooley!

I haven't got the parts list handy, took me an hour to find the instruction book!

Peter
Old 24-02-09, 01:00 AM   #20
danthetangye

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Thanks for that, Dan, looks like I have a different beast all together!

What ages are we talking about for your (Dan and Karl) engines?

Mine is ex Abingdon Technical College, but has a build date of 1964, one of the last HR's they built.

The small HR's never had air start according to Ray Hooley, the 2HR was the smallest they made with it, but the college may have had electric starting as part of their rig, I don't know.

Is that one of yours (Dan) ex - Mick Mills?

Peter
Hi Peter,
Mine is one of the very late Indian Built 1ZHRs, I think mid 1960s or so, came from Mick Mills a couple of years ago. The inlet valve decompressor is only an eccentric fulcrum pin on the rocker, so should be easy enough to copy for your engine if necessary. I'm short of an air inlet silencer so I'll swap you :-) I've also got a full air start kit for it, but I probably won't fit it as it starts so easily on the handle.

Cheers

Dan