UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Model Stationary Engines

Old 11-12-12, 03:57 PM   #1
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Default large-scale models / replicas

As most of you probably know, I like my hot air engines and as well as the usual small table top models, have a full size replica Robinson B4 and now the half size Ericsson, both of which are pretty chunky lumps of iron (the Ericsson's flywheel alone weighs 1/2 cwt).

What do others think about this sort of thing - are they a legitimate part of engine collecting, would they be acceptable at a rally (not in the models tent with all the miniature fairground rides and taped organ music!) etc etc or does the fact that they are not 'real' historical artifacts count against them?

Come on, be honest - I promise not to get offended!

NHH

Last edited by nickh; 11-12-12 at 04:00 PM.
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 04:02 PM   #2
follytowers
Forum Supporter 2011

If people know they are not vintage I can't see the problem. They probly look a lot more interesting than some displays I have seen.
follytowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 04:02 PM   #3
sinna42
Forum Supporter 2013

In my opinion a well crafted model based on a real engine is a way of paying homage to the original designer & manufacturer.

What is it they say ? - Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery !!

Jim
Old 11-12-12, 04:04 PM   #4
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

As far as I am concerned "originality" only goes so far - I would find them far more interesting than the 20th (ostensibly) identical Lister D-type in the row. My view may be slanted by the fact that I also find Sterlings interesting...

Martin.
martinpaff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 04:34 PM   #5
novo

I like hot air engines, I still cant get my head around how they work. I know the principles but i still can't believe they actually work. A large scale model or replica hot air engine is at least as interesting as stationary engines. I'd like one next to me in the line up. The fact that it's not old doesn't matter in the least to me, or, i'm sure, to the paying public. If you've got any critics nickh set up next to me & we'll fight em off together. I'm sure the organisers wont complain either.
Old 11-12-12, 05:04 PM   #6
LarrapMan

Well anything you find interesting is a legitimate part of engine collecting. The fact they were just too inefficient to have survived justifies having a replica. Full size replica's are a completely different animal to a model as everything can function and be assembled as they would originally and are much nicer in my opinion. You can't be deceitful about it and they must always be worth less than an original (goes without saying). Models are a different hobby as is collecting them but obviously the interest of many will cross into both. (arguably a branch off within the engine hobby, depends how you define the hobby overall)

I think that accurate full size replicas should be welcome in any engine line as should original sterling engines. I think that models should be as well but all in sensible numbers, you can have too much of anything.

For the most part engine shows are not competitions (and its stupid when they are) so it doesn't really matter. Everyone should be allowed to share and enjoy what they are doing with each other and the public which is relevant to our hobby. Where numbers are limited the most interesting to the most people should be chosen which is obviously at the discretion of who is choosing. There would be some disagreements i'm sure if I was choosing.

How do you know your Robinson is a B4? What dimensions decide that, I would like to know which size and HP our is. Has about 10" flywheel.

Joe
LarrapMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 08:58 PM   #7
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Hmm, pleasantly suprised - I was expecting a few "no, it's all about the history" comments.

I agree that replicas should always be clearly identified as such. I think I could spot one of the Robinsons now, machining marks on the 'deck' are one of the giveaways - originals were done on a shaper or planing machine whereas the replicas are milled - but it could catch out the unwary. I believe there are copies of Robinson 'chippy' engines and small Gardener gas engines about with similr tell-tales.

I have copies of some of the Gardner factory drawings for the B4 size Robinson hot air engine which pretty much correspond to the dimensions of mine - power piston 4 1/2" bore x 2 3/4" stroke and 13 1/2" dia flywheel. Don't think power output was mentioned in these small engines - just what they could do in terms of running small water pumps or perhps the blower on a petrol gas plant.

Missed a Robinson catalogue on ebay some time ago - can't remember what it fetched but too rich for my blood. I rater hoped it had gone to someone who would share the info in an SEM article or something (as I would), but nothing so far.

NHH
Old 11-12-12, 10:08 PM   #8
LarrapMan

Well I can't disagree as we rally a couple and everyone seems to like them, they definitely get their fair share of interest. The odd noise complaint but what can you do.

Those dimensions don't sound really far out from ours, I will have to check, it is at most one size smaller. Massive compared with the 1/60 HP Heinrici. Joe.

Last edited by LarrapMan; 10-05-14 at 06:11 PM.
LarrapMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 10:40 PM   #9
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

hard to tell without anything to give a sense of scale, but the proportions certainly look the same.

BTW; how can you have noise complaints about hot air engines? Edgar Westbury commended them as a modeling subject for their good parlour habits!

NH

Last edited by nickh; 11-12-12 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-12-12, 10:51 PM   #10
pulsechoes

They are engines aren't they?? IMHO they are perfectly entitled to be part of any engine line-up!!! "Modern" manufacture they may be but they are still made the good old fashioned way. Are You getting the inkling to "Jump the Ropes"to the dirty side, Mr H????