UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > The Workshop

Old 11-03-18, 01:02 PM   #1
Cyberprog
WebHost

Default Piston Clocks

Hi All,

I don't post here that much, but figured you'd probably all appreciate these :)

I saw one of these recently on another forum I lurk on, and thought it would be a fun build. I have a friend at work who is very into his Audi's, so picked up an Audi piston as it has a nice cast Audi Logo on the Conrod.

Subsequently the reaction at work was very positive, so I made a couple more and took more photos. So, for your entertainment, here's the process!

So, we start off with a piston off eBay, in all it's cruddy glory!
2018-02-24 17.15.52 (Medium).jpg
2018-02-24 17.16.08 (Medium).jpg

The easy bits are split off here - top of the conrod, bolts and the rings/scrapers.
2018-02-24 17.17.48 (Medium).jpg
2018-02-24 17.17.52 (Medium).jpg

Next step would normally be to remove the snap ring that secures the gudgeon pin, but in the case of this particular piston (Mini R50 Engine) the conrod appears to be fixed to the pin - probably using heat, and I didn't have anything handy to release it. So I opted to just leave it in place. It makes cleaning the conrod harder, but it is still possible.
2018-02-24 17.21.06 (Medium).jpg

At this stage I then take the piston off and the conrod and run them through a wire wheel on the bench grinder, and clean up all the external muck. The bolts and top of the conrod (and pin, if removable) go through the same process.

I then clean up the inside of the piston using a degreasing foaming cleaner and then some isopropynol spray. That's then followed by the dremel clone with a small wire wheel/cup wheel to remove the hardened dirt.
2018-02-24 18.23.53 (Medium).jpg

And here's the finished result;
2018-02-24 18.40.48 (Medium).jpg

Next I setup the piston level, and then pop the bubble on the conrod and use a welding magnet to stabilise things.
2018-02-24 18.42.16 (Medium).jpg

A couple of blobs of weld hold the pin to the piston (I'm working on making this neater!) and we have the cleaned piston ready for measurement.
2018-02-24 18.56.41 (Medium).jpg

With the right measurement I can then order a suitable clock insert, and that will usually have a rubber ring round the outside which grips nicely into the top of the conrod. In the picture below, the one we've been working on is the smaller of the two.
2018-03-09 18.39.31-2 (Medium).jpg
Cyberprog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-18, 01:31 PM   #2
danthetangye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberprog View Post

A couple of blobs of weld hold the pin to the piston (I'm working on making this neater!) and we have the cleaned piston ready for measurement.

Nice work. Rather than welding I would suggest using a high-strength Loctite, it hides in the joint and will be plenty strong enough for this application. Done this a few times at work to make leaving gifts for various folk out of scrap engine parts, I work in diesel R&D so plenty of bits around!

Dan
danthetangye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-18, 01:33 PM   #3
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Loctite 648. With the joint properly cleaned and fully coated with 648 it will never move again!

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-18, 02:49 PM   #4
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

One of my workmates is a total BMW freak (no, I don't get it either) and would I'm sure love one of those made from an appropriate piston assembly.

NHH
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-18, 04:42 PM   #5
Cyberprog
WebHost

I'll order a tube and try :) Thanks!

Had a Merc piston arrive this week, so I've spent the last hour or so cleaning that one up. Handily the same size clock as the Audi one, so a quick swap and I've got some pics of it :)

2018-03-11 15.12.51 (Medium).jpg
2018-03-11 15.15.38 (Medium).jpg
Old 11-03-18, 05:03 PM   #6
Cyberprog
WebHost

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
One of my workmates is a total BMW freak (no, I don't get it either) and would I'm sure love one of those made from an appropriate piston assembly.

NHH
I've had a look, and there are some cool looking m-sport ones, but none have any logos on. Seems only a handful of manufacturers put them on the castings.

Mercedes, Audi, VAG, GM are the ones I've ID'd so far.
Old 11-03-18, 06:11 PM   #7
woodsman

Made a lady petrol head friend a garden wind chime from a scored piston and some big washers.

Tha can alus tell a Yorkshireman - but tha can't tell him much.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote