UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > The Workshop > Tricks of the Trade

Old 23-10-09, 06:24 PM   #1
Vintage Magnetos

Default Hard Limescale Remover

Hi Chaps,I have a Lister D.K I', just started to Restore the Engine, I looked inside the Hopper,there is Lots of Limescale,About 1/4" thick,and were the Three nuts are for then Head.is Completey Cover with Limescale.
I have used a Hammer and Chesial,but i' m on the caution side if i hit it too hit i'll Knackered the head,also i've tried the Kettle descaler no good there.
I'm thinking now if Shot Blasting would get it of.

Any ideas would be Aprecated
Many thanks.

Our what you used in the Past.
Vintage Magnetos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-09, 06:50 PM   #2
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

What about putting paraffin in the hopper?

Last edited by wolseley phill; 24-03-18 at 07:42 AM.
wolseley phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-09, 07:04 PM   #3
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

You will have to use an acid, Vinegar, or a weak solution of hydrochloric acid.
Merv.
mervyn cloake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-09, 07:57 PM   #4
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

I've just removed a huge quantity of scale from the hopper of my BPR. I discovered that although it was a tough hard layer, about 4-5mm thick, it wasn't attached to the iron all that well. I used a metal bar, about 18" long x 1/4" thick. I ground a point on the end and then just chipped away. Each time I broke through the surface I picked off the flakes with my finger nails! A long dull job but it worked.

Martin.
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-09, 08:46 PM   #5
Dave Carter
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Magnetos View Post
Hi Chaps,I have a Lister D.K I', just started to Restore the Engine, I looked inside the Hopper,there is Lots of Limescale,About 1/4" thick,a...........also i've tried the Kettle descaler no good there......
Any ideas would be Aprecated
Many thanks.

Our what you used in the Past.
I have used "Brick Acid" from the local builders' merchant.
Made a tank and sealed it to the head, joined the inlet and tank together, and left the diluted solution until it stopped bubbling.The acid attacks the scale only. Repeated the proceedure until all the scale had gone.
(Observe H&S instructions.)

Followed by thorough hosing out.

Reaches the parts other ........

Regards,
Dave Carter.
Dave Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-09, 07:26 AM   #6
Bolton & Paul

Hi,

According to my Lister JP3 Work Shop Manual, they recomend mixing up a solution of hydrochloric acid which is virtually the same as brick acid, but I can't remember what strenth the solution has to be or how long you leave it in for. The other thing is if you remove all the lime scale you dont know what you might find underneath it may start leaking.

Regards, Michael.

Last edited by Bolton & Paul; 24-10-09 at 11:02 AM.
Bolton & Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-09, 10:07 AM   #7
Pugdud
Forum Supporter 2013

I used hydrocloric acid (spirit of salts) from local hardware, on a cylinder block. I didnt dilute it though because I couldn't immerse it easily.
The sulphur-like smell takes the hair out of your nose, and the next day any shiny surface tool had a fine rust layer on it. So probably immerse it in a diluted mixture outside in the open is best.
Tony.
Pugdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-09, 11:09 AM   #8
Bolton & Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugdud View Post
I used hydrocloric acid (spirit of salts) from local hardware, on a cylinder block. I didnt dilute it though because I couldn't immerse it easily.
The sulphur-like smell takes the hair out of your nose, and the next day any shiny surface tool had a fine rust layer on it. So probably immerse it in a diluted mixture outside in the open is best.
Tony.
Hi, Best not to breathe the fumes from hydrocloric acid because it can permanently damage your lungs. I never do any soldering in my work shop, because like you said the acid fumes make tools go rusty. You can also buy it from pool chemical shops.

Regards, Michael.
Bolton & Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-09, 07:59 PM   #9
Vintage Magnetos

Hi Chaps.
I bought a Gallon of Brick Acid,I blocked the Drain Hole with a Square Tapered Plug,Then I Done 2 Parts Brick acid,and 1 part water,Left it for 4 hours,Drained the lot out, The acid did'nt remove the Lime scale,So now I put the Brick Acid from the Tub,straight into the hopper,I got to say this stuff is Very Lively in it. Now i'm gonna leave it for a Couple of Hours and see what happens to the Scale.
I've got my Fingers Crossed.

Thankyou to All that Replyed to my thread. Thankyou.
Vintage Magnetos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-09, 09:51 PM   #10
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

I think you may find brick acid is already diluted. I think it is 3% hydrochloric in water, which is enough to clean up brick work, If that is the case it would take longer to clean up lime scale and would have to be repeated. Stronger solutions works well on rust scale and does a good job on brass work as well, although to do brass the acid must be clean.
Merv.
mervyn cloake is offline   Reply With Quote