UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Other Driven Equipment

Old 16-01-16, 08:04 AM   #1
philipagri

Default Albion Grinding mill

Have been clearing out our feedshed and I knew I had an old mill at the back but thought it was an Albion by Harrison Macgregor , it turns out to be made by Albion Ironworks, Rugeley who I was unaware of. Graces Guide suggests they were making these and stationary steam engines in the late Victorian period.
Does anyone know of any others or any other products from Albion Ironworks Rugeley. A period picture would be nice

Thanks, Philip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4191.jpg (65.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4189.jpg (49.9 KB, 48 views)
philipagri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-16, 10:10 AM   #2
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

What a magnificent thing! You can certainly see from the decorative ironwork that it could well be Victorian.

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-16, 11:36 AM   #3
Numpty

I used to own one the same. Lovely machine, pale blue with fine red and white lining on the front, white lining on the sides and no lining on the back. Lettering was picked out in gold if I remember correctly. Flippin heavy though! It sat in the shed for a few years until I decided to part with it. Went to a Kent collector who I believe sold it to one of the Windmills over there. Would look nice with a turn of the century engine of suitable size.
Old 16-01-16, 06:11 PM   #4
philipagri

There is another about then, My son and I walked it out across the shed with difficulty as its heavier than it looks. I tried grinding barley with it for feed when I first got it about 30 years ago but it was very slow and I didn't want to rev it too fast on the tractor pulley as it has a 33 inch diameter flywheel next to where you stand.
Yes a nice slow turn of the century engine would be ideal
This one seems to have a light green paint where the grease has protected it but there is no sign of what colours it was lined out in.
philipagri is offline   Reply With Quote