UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Generators

Old 05-09-18, 08:04 PM   #21
Lucien Nunes
Forum Supporter 2011

Option 1
Fit series/parallel switching on the scooter, so that the batteries can be charged in parallel via a convenient input connector that would plug into the 12V alternator setup. No additional battery would be needed as the scooter battery will enable the alternator to start up. A conventional constant-voltage regulator on the alternator will be compatible with normal gel batteries but will not give you a fast charge, nor tell you about the state of charge.

Option 2
As above but fit intelligent aftermarket multi-stage regulator to alternator. This will allow the voltage to track the charge state and give the fastest possible charge without risk of overheating the batteries if correctly configured.

Option 3
Generate 12V, use car-type DC-input charger as linked above. That unit only has 1.5A output so again not a fast-charging option. Small battery will be required for the alternator a) so that it starts up and b) to absorb transients and prevent it going unstable if the speed is such that it can only just supply the load. A small 7Ah alarm battery is quite sufficient for this.

Option 4
Generate 12V, invert to 230V AC, use regular mains-powered charger. Probably gives you the widest range of options, including using the charger you already have. Inverter can be used to power other useful things too. Battery will be needed for alternator, the larger the better if you want to do useful stuff with the inverter. Efficiency will be lower but that may not be a problem. If the charger has say 4A output and say 80% efficiency it uses 4x29/0.8=145W at 230V AC. If the inverter has 80% efficiency too, it will use 145/14/0.8=13A from the alternator. This will absorb something around 1/2hp from the crankshaft allowing for 50% alternator and drive losses. Charging will be as fast as original charger permits.

Enough choices for now...
Old 05-09-18, 08:18 PM   #22
Lister M

Gentlemen,

It will be a mixture of Lucian's option 4 and Robotstar5's box with meters.

Thank you all for your idea's.

Martin P
Old 05-09-18, 09:54 PM   #23
hortimech

Okay, it is up to you, but you do not need the inverter, charger & extra battery, you just need very thick wire and 8 Anderson connectors. That's all I use to charge my mobilty scooter batteries as I drive around.
hortimech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-18, 04:16 PM   #24
Lister M

I dont want to charge it from my car, I want to charge when at a rally particularly if I'm there for several days.

Martin P