UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > General Transport Section > Member's Vehicles

Old 17-08-18, 07:36 PM   #1
listerlad

Location: Sat in the Garden of England, enjoying the sunshine
Default Bigger Car

Come to the conclusion of getting rid of my little Kia Rio for something a bit bigger that I can tow a trailer with. Was quite interested in a Citroen C4 1.6 HDI but I know very little about these, I have been advised they have electrical problems as well as the old Citroen air suspension, something a mates C4 Picasso suffered with all not so long ago. Anyone. Got any recommendations for cars?

Ollie
Old 17-08-18, 08:29 PM   #2
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

Peugeot Partner/Citroen Picasso 2.0 litre HDI. Plenty of room in the rear for an engine with the seats folded plus can tow a decent weight trailer. Plenty around and not expensive.

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-18, 09:07 PM   #3
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

What ever you can afford which will do what you need and one you can afford to tax and insure. All cars have their particular issues/ weaknesses. It's just a case of finding out what they are.

I've been very pleased with my old Passat (until a van driver crashed into it the other day..) 1.9TDI and it regularly returns 65mpg. Mine is nearly 20 years old but there are much younger examples of the same car, a lot for the money and you could do a lot worse.

Phill.
wolseley phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-18, 09:27 PM   #4
listerlad

There’s a 1.6 HDI Xsara Picasso at the local garages eBay page, needs tidying up and the from n/s brake Caliper is siezed, jobs I can’t work out why they haven’t done and put it on there forcourt, makes me wonder if there’s more to it than what meets the eye.

Ollie
Old 17-08-18, 09:30 PM   #5
Lister M

I used a Vauxhall Vivaro/Renault Trafic for 15 years, excellent towing vehicle and you can carry inside as well, when I retired I replaced it with a Subaru Forrester 2.0 TD, also an excellent towing vehicle with the bonus of 4x4.

Martin P
Old 17-08-18, 09:46 PM   #6
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerlad View Post
Thereís a 1.6 HDI Xsara Picasso at the local garages eBay page, needs tidying up and the from n/s brake Caliper is siezed, jobs I canít work out why they havenít done and put it on there forcourt, makes me wonder if thereís more to it than what meets the eye.

Ollie
The 1.6 HDI engine suffers from various problems, the 2.0 HDI is a brilliant bomb proof unit though.

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-18, 09:48 PM   #7
listerlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrush View Post
The 1.6 HDI engine suffers from various problems, the 2.0 HDI is a brilliant bomb proof unit though.

Pete.
Yes, so Iíve heard, also seem like gold dust at the moment, I guess people just keep hold of them because there a good lump.

Ollie
Old 17-08-18, 10:22 PM   #8
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerlad View Post
Thereís a 1.6 HDI Xsara Picasso at the local garages eBay page, needs tidying up and the from n/s brake Caliper is siezed, jobs I canít work out why they havenít done and put it on there forcourt, makes me wonder if thereís more to it than what meets the eye.

Ollie
Agreed - always beware of car ads which say anything like "just needs <random simple job> for MOT"!

NHH
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-18, 10:30 PM   #9
Dan_pt
Forum Supporter 2011

Another good choice would be a Mk3 Mondeo tdci 130. I've had several of those and they were superb. They are now cheap too.

Dan.
Dan_pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-18, 11:07 PM   #10
listerlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_pt View Post
Another good choice would be a Mk3 Mondeo tdci 130. I've had several of those and they were superb. They are now cheap too.

Dan.
Thatís one I have wondered about, little bit weary of Fords after the misses Focus, fried all the alternator and wiring loom, not to mention the new battery I got for it just a few months before. Probably would have anothe mind,seem to be plenty that donít have problems.

Ollie