UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section > Events / Rallies General

Old 18-06-18, 08:51 AM   #1
gaudin98

Default 1000 engine rally

What was the opinion of exhibitors at this years 1000 engine rally. After a lot of positive comments last year do we think the new layout still works. Personally I thought it lacked atmosphere this year the whole event being to spread out. And a lot of the classes seemed down on entries. The big arena just divides the event in two.
gaudin98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 09:12 AM   #2
miley_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaudin98 View Post
What was the opinion of exhibitors at this years 1000 engine rally. After a lot of positive comments last year do we think the new layout still works. Personally I thought it lacked atmosphere this year the whole event being to spread out. And a lot of the classes seemed down on entries. The big arena just divides the event in two.
I agree that there was a complete lack of atmosphere. Engine numbers were well down, even on the last couple of years. There were less than 250 engines!

The camping was a complete mess and the engine pens were very tight. They seemed awfully narrow and several people I spoke too seemed to agree that the road ways between the pens were stupidly wide, whilst the pens were stupidly narrow.

The killer for me was when I asked the chap with the water bowser to fill the cooling tanks on our National & Campbell engines on the Friday afternoon as he was parked about 20ft away. I was told, he was too busy filling the plastic drums and that I would have to wait until he had finished them and gone around all of the steam engines before he could come back to me. A comment was then made that it would be better if we could wait until Saturday evening as that when they are usually quiet with the bowser. It has put me off from wanting to take a big engine back. If I go next year it will just be with something small.
miley_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 09:20 AM   #3
electrocutas
Forum Supporter 2013

The engine pens were cramped with little room for exhibitors whilst the public walkways could accommodate bus tours.
The stalls were scattered all over.
Attendance both exhibitors and public was down but the threat of bad weather would not help. There was a 5 minute deluge at 16.25 on Saturday, when I was fortunately in the club tent and a couple of odd spot showers on Sunday at a minute or so each.
I found overall opinion on organisation was not good.
Despite that, We had a great time and there was a fly past by a ww 2 fighter on both days. Engine prices were up but the move of the club tent nearer the car park I thought was a good idea.
However to stop further decline action needs to be taken in attracting more exhibits and advertising, I also saw no local signage to the show.
Newby Hall is only a week before and is very fast becoming a better show as far as engines are concerned.

The stalls need to be together and more space given to exhibitors, It is not like there is a shortage of space. I think the organisers need to talk to the exhibitors and work together on the layout or we could see the 1000 engine show diminish even further.
Old 18-06-18, 09:32 AM   #4
miley_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrocutas View Post
I think the organisers need to talk to the exhibitors and work together on the layout or we could see the 1000 engine show diminish even further.
I agree. Sadly the person on the committee I talked too didn't seem at all interested when we pointed out the issues with the camping area and nobody came round the engine pens to speak to us for feedback or even thank us for coming. Sadly nobody I spoke too even knew who the engine steward was.
miley_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 10:42 AM   #5
pulsechoes

Doesn't sound like I missed much then!! From the photo's I've seen elsewhere it looked like a bit of a shambles. Time for change, I fear!!

Couldn't help but notice that this thread appears to be the first mention of this years event on this Forum. Considering that it is supposed
to be the "Premier Engine Event" that is abysmal.

Last edited by pulsechoes; 18-06-18 at 10:49 AM.
pulsechoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 12:31 PM   #6
swinz

Its a shame how what was once the highlight of the season has come to this, a husband and wife team who donít want to listen to comments anybody else has to say. I donít do many rallies, this year I gave 1000 engine a miss for the first time ever and tried Newby Hall, so glad I did, seems like yet again the only thing they get right is the club stall.
Paul.
swinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 01:22 PM   #7
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Rather sad really - I've had some great times at Astle. 3 or 4 years ago I decided I'd had enough, but I visited last year and thought the changes looked positive. This year I couldn't work up the enthusiasm to visit, and it sounds like I made a good decision...

Having said that...

It should never be underestimated how much effort goes into organising a show of this kind, and it's a mostly thankless task, undertaken by volunteers who can be very hard to come-by! I have some small insight because I'm on the committee of a local vintage show. We are not of the same scale as Astle (or even close!) and yet considerable effort goes into the organisation of a successful show.

On the other hand...

When the committee reach the point where they have lost sight of why they are doing it, it's probably time for change. Most fundamentally, if the committee forget that they are not putting on the show for themselves and their own aggrandisement, and that without (entirely voluntary) contributors/exhibitors they have no show then it's certainly time to stop!

It seems to me that whilst the reigns may need a firm hand, the feedback from the paying public and exhibitors is crucial. If they tell you the pens are too small, the loos are rubbish, or that something may be in the wrong place, then the least you can do is gather the opinions, acknowledge the effort it takes to make suggestions (many folk hate rocking the boat), and at least help the contributors to understand why their suggestion can't work. This requires that you spend time with the contributors...

Having now showed at 5 or 6 Newby Tractorfests, I have seen the event progress from a good (if slightly chaotic) event, to a superbly well organised and attended show (and not a kettle in sight!) At Newby the section leaders are visible all weekend, and most importantly, exhibitor comments are acted on by the next show.

I really hope Astle has a future, and I thought that last year it had taken a first step into that future - but perhaps not...

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-18, 05:34 PM   #8
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinpaff View Post
<snip> and not a kettle in sight!<snip>

MP
Are you saying no tea making on engine line ?

Neil.
Old 18-06-18, 05:34 PM   #9
brianl

From what I saw some of the engine men and women had put a real good effort in and were showing a good range of engines
Brian
Old 18-06-18, 06:10 PM   #10
The wild eye
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Location: In your fridge turning the light off when you close the door

I have not exhibited at any rally this year and I was feeling a bit guilty at not attending the 1000 , I did go on Sunday though and paid my tenner at the gate ( Two of us ) .

As an " Engine show " it is great but as a day out for the family it is just not worth going to . All that was available for kids to do was a tiny sand pit .

At one tme you could go to the rally and it would take you all of two days to see everything properly , I was there for five hours on Sunday and seen everything that was on the field .

Yes the engine pens were tight and the walkways were vast , but if it was the other way round it would have looked lots worse .
I cant imagine all the hours and hard work that goes into organising such an event .

I do hope that things can get sorted for the next rallys because to lose it would be a massive shame .

When it comes down to it it is our responsibility as the main exhibitors to support the show .

Steve