UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Restorations Section

Old 25-05-18, 10:05 AM   #581
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Sterling View Post
Neil,

<snip>The losses become huge around the boiling point, and all that is energy being sucked out of your engines cooling jacket. as long as the cylinder head is not exposed, your engine can boil water merrily.

Paul.
Boiling water it does really well, not sure how the head could be uncovered though ?
Its tank cooled, water is pumped from bottom of tank into the bottom of the cylinder, the return just flows back from top of head to the barrel again, at about 5 or 6 gallons a minute

Neil.
Old 25-05-18, 10:34 AM   #582
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
Boiling water it does really well, not sure how the head could be uncovered though ?
Its tank cooled, water is pumped from bottom of tank into the bottom of the cylinder, the return just flows back from top of head to the barrel again, at about 5 or 6 gallons a minute

Neil.
The head will only be uncovered if that water boils away until the level drops to that point (or in your case, till when the pump can't pump any more water), that is all I was indicating. As long as the head has a covering of water, you can let them boil happily. These are (mostly) cast iron piston engines, they can run pretty hot with no problems.

On a side subject, Ruston specified some pretty low continuous operating temperatures for the Ruston HR series diesels, in fact for my 1HR, they were specifying only 60 degrees, but in reality, a diesel is far more efficient, and far less likely to bore glaze if the water temperature is in the 90's, they just need more careful monitoring to ensure the level does not drop, which is where the risk of exposed engine surfaces creeps in.

Paul.
Old 25-05-18, 02:06 PM   #583
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
These are (mostly) cast iron piston engines, they can run pretty hot with no problems.

Paul.
Unfortunately the 'cast iron' piston I ordered from Stuart Turner Bits, was delivered to the local machine shop with the barrel for boring by my son, it wasn't until several months later when I went to collect the bored cylinder I found the new old stock iron piston was actually second hand aluminium
I spent a long time trying to find an iron +.030 piston with no luck, that is why I decided on using a pumped system, so far no issues, and the worry ov the high temps is probably more of a problem to me, than it is to the engine. Lol
Time will tell, but it's been rallied the last two weekend in hot weather and run like a clock, this weekend its getting a two day event, if it doesn't work out at least I'll have a game fair to look around

Neil.
Old 25-05-18, 02:39 PM   #584
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
Unfortunately the 'cast iron' piston I ordered from Stuart Turner Bits, was delivered to the local machine shop with the barrel for boring by my son, it wasn't until several months later when I went to collect the bored cylinder I found the new old stock iron piston was actually second hand aluminium
I spent a long time trying to find an iron +.030 piston with no luck, that is why I decided on using a pumped system, so far no issues, and the worry ov the high temps is probably more of a problem to me, than it is to the engine. Lol
Time will tell, but it's been rallied the last two weekend in hot weather and run like a clock, this weekend its getting a two day event, if it doesn't work out at least I'll have a game fair to look around

Neil.
It'll be absolutely fine.

Paul.
Old 25-05-18, 03:03 PM   #585
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
It'll be absolutely fine.

Paul.
Perhaps I just like to worry
It's done a two day bash before with a bigger load so I'm sure it will survive another

Neil.
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM   #586
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

With the crankcase ready to receive the cylinder barrel, I made a start on replacing the head studs.

Despite best efforts over the last few weeks, only one of the studs was removed intact with the other three shearing off..

With care, I was able to drill out the remains and re-tap the threads 3/8" BSF.

Untitled by Phillip Sheppard, on Flickr

The next stage is to make the new nuts and studs.

Phill.
wolseley phill is offline   Reply With Quote