UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Restorations Section

Old 28-02-18, 03:18 PM   #1
woodsman

Default Norman T300

Picked up a Norman T300 over the weekend so brace yourselves for a load of questions!

1) Does anyone have a manual / parts list / exploded diagram?

2) Top of crankcase where magneto fits is rounded with no holes for tank brackets so I believe that indicates a Mark One. Correct ?

3) The little info I have so far suggests that Mark Ones had serial numbers beginning TE. Yet this one has serial number BS 9019. Any ideas?

4) There is a chunk missing from the flywheel/pulley. Any suggestions as to repair?

5) There is a short pipe coming out just by the valves. Breather maybe?

6) There is what appears to be a small tap on the side of the crankcase. What might that be?

7) I thought these engines had an oil pressure gauge but the info I have refers to ...."reading the Pressure Indicator. The black button should project"

8) Where can I get material to cut new head gaskets?

Thanks in advance for any help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180228_104418.jpg (42.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 20180228_104518.jpg (52.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 20180228_104716.jpg (65.2 KB, 51 views)

Tha can alus tell a Yorkshireman - but tha can't tell him much.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-18, 03:33 PM   #2
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

The pipe is a breather, should reach down as far as the base.
The tap would appear to be just where the pressure gauge should be, running pressure is 20psi at working revs, it is adjustable.

Neil.
Old 28-02-18, 05:46 PM   #3
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Agree with Neil on pipe and tap.

Manual available from Internal Fire.

Yes to MKI having rounded top on timing chest.

No idea on 'BS' serial number - hopefully air-cooled will be able to shed light.

Pulley is separate, though removing retaining bolts can be a right pain without taking flywheel off first.

Copper-asbestos gaskets should be reusable with care or make solid copper replacements.

NHH

Last edited by nickh; 28-02-18 at 05:52 PM.
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-18, 06:58 PM   #4
Paul_Sterling

If you can get the pulley off, i'd machine that outer groove off, leaving just 1 vee. Sacrilidge I know, but with a high speed part like that, no repair is likely to be 100% guaranteed.

Paul.
Old 28-02-18, 08:22 PM   #5
air-cooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
Picked up a Norman T300 over the weekend so brace yourselves for a load of questions!

1) Does anyone have a manual / parts list / exploded diagram?

2) Top of crankcase where magneto fits is rounded with no holes for tank brackets so I believe that indicates a Mark One. Correct ?

3) The little info I have so far suggests that Mark Ones had serial numbers beginning TE. Yet this one has serial number BS 9019. Any ideas?

4) There is a chunk missing from the flywheel/pulley. Any suggestions as to repair?

5) There is a short pipe coming out just by the valves. Breather maybe?

6) There is what appears to be a small tap on the side of the crankcase. What might that be?

7) I thought these engines had an oil pressure gauge but the info I have refers to ...."reading the Pressure Indicator. The black button should project"

8) Where can I get material to cut new head gaskets?

Thanks in advance for any help

1) Yes, for the manual/parts list, if you can't get one from IF. No to the exploded diagram. You will need special tools to remove some parts if you decide to start on the internals.

2) Top half of crankcase rounded indicates a T300 Mk1 in 99.5% of cases. Norman's used up old style crankcases on the first T300 Mk2 engines, waste not want not.

3) All T300 Mk1 engines have serial numbers beginning with TE. You will find this number on the edge of the left hand mounting foot (viewing the engine from the starting handle). No idea what BS 9019 means.

4) The duplex vee pulley looks original and made from aluminium. Norman pulleys are quite prone to chipping if banged against other objects. That looks like what has happened here. As someone has pointed out repair will be challenging and possibly unsafe. Try cleaning it up first to see if the crack has extended any further, if it hasn't you could just leave it alone. You might try reversing the pulley (if possible) so that the chip is on the inside and less likely to catch anything.

5) The short pipe is the crankcase breather, which points downwards. It looks perfectly OK in the pictures.

6) The small tap is not original, someone has used it the fill the hole where the missing oil pressure gauge should be. As Neil says, the normal oil pressure is 20lbs/sq".

7) The MK1 should have an oil pressure gauge (see 6)). The reference to the oil pressure indicator is to the type of oil pressure indicator used on the T300 Mk2 engines, which has a black button which pops out when the correct pressure is reached.

8) If you are careful in removing the copper asbestos sandwich head gaskets they should be re-usuable. Otherwise you will need to cut replicas from sheet copper or aluminium.

You are also missing the covers for the tappets/valve springs.

Phillip
Old 01-03-18, 11:49 AM   #6
woodsman

Thanks chaps.
Will try Internal Fire for manual.
The BS 9109 is on the brass plate in front of the magneto - will check mounting foot when the snow drifts clear.
Head gaskets have already been removed and don't look in good shape so will have to make new. Can anyone suggest a supplier of suitable material?
Will keep an eye on flea-bay for a suitable pressure gauge. I do have tappet covers thankfully.
I also have a BTH magneto which allegedly fits. Doesn't seem to have have an impulse mechanism like the WICOs - is this correct?

Old 01-03-18, 01:54 PM   #7
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
I also have a BTH magneto which allegedly fits. Doesn't seem to have have an impulse mechanism like the WICOs - is this correct?
No impulse unit on the one I had, if mag is good it will start easily without cranking like a mad thing.

Neil.
Old 01-03-18, 02:07 PM   #8
Dan_pt
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
No impulse unit on the one I had, if mag is good it will start easily without cranking like a mad thing.

Neil.
Agreed, both of mine have the BTH magneto and start within 1/4 to 1/2 a turn of the handle. Those magnetos seem to be very good with nice strong sparks , even at a low speed.

Dan.
Dan_pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 02:10 PM   #9
olly246
Forum Supporter 2013

Default Norman T300 Head Gaskets

Hi Paul, May have some T300 head gaskets of Dads house,will get him to have a look and let you know.

Thanks Gary...
1 1/2 hp Lister D,2 hp Lister d ,2 Lister A's,Lister B,2 Lister L's,Ruston Hornsby 6PB,Bamford EG1, Bamford EV1,Bamford 3HP petrol,paraffin open crank,Amanco Hired Man,Jap 2A charging set.(don't tell the wife).:nah_nah:
olly246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 03:47 PM   #10
woodsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly246 View Post
Hi Paul, May have some T300 head gaskets of Dads house,will get him to have a look and let you know.

Thanks Gary...
Brilliant thanks Gary.