UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Restorations Section

Old 20-02-18, 07:19 PM   #1
adgecutler
Forum Supporter 2013

Default Danarm Tornado, chainsaw.

It's been a while posting on here as I've been spending a lot of time restoring a Fordson E1a Major which didn't really fit with posting on the this forum. I'm trying to get to grips with the changes regarding pictures.
A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Danarm Tornado, it's basically a Villiers 2F 98CC, 4HP motorcycle engine bolted to a frame and a bar and chain attached, the handle is bolted to the cylinder and incorporates a rotating joint secured by a sprung pin. To cut horizontally the pin is retracted and the engine then can rotate while leaving the handle and more importantly the carburettor vertical, I forget how many but it can be fixed in several different positions allowing different angled cuts. Tornadoes where produced 1949-1955, stamped on my flywheel is 11/51, I guess this is my saws date of manufacture? Interestingly the chain oil tank is the forward frame and is pressurised via a drilling into the cylinder, there is also a manual pump for use during heavy cutting. The saw weighs 42lbs with the standard 14", I haven't measured mine but it's a fair bit longer. I have a couple other old chainsaws and they are a bit of a busmans holiday for me, when this one came up I thought it would be a nice little project to play with in the house to fill the time until the weather and daylight lets me get back to the Major.

Old 20-02-18, 09:21 PM   #2
slatteybarn

Very nice project Jamie.bloody brave operators back then. I've seen a few old chainsaws at auction,but I value my appendages to much. Here's your next one may be!!!
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...8mBaZlHTX5LMfu

Regards
Phil.
slatteybarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-18, 09:49 PM   #3
adgecutler
Forum Supporter 2013

I've watched quite a few of those hot saw videos. It's a bit like tractor pulling, it's daft, pointless but it does make me grin.
The Danarm weighs almost double the weight of my Stihl 076 AV and that makes me ache after a whole day on it. I'm quite local to Stroud, my job is partly forestry and grew up with Dad using a Danarm (a later one) and so, I'm planning on collecting a few.
Old 20-02-18, 10:26 PM   #4
2010macjac

Nice looking tool! I am also working on a E1A major at the moment, I wasn't sure if it was worth posting about it on hear or not. But I might be tempted knowing I'm not the only E1A fan!
Old 20-02-18, 10:44 PM   #5
adgecutler
Forum Supporter 2013

Great tool the E1A and still usable, I didn't post as I seem to remember a bit of a Kerfuffle on here about tractors some years back.
Old 25-02-18, 12:16 PM   #6
adgecutler
Forum Supporter 2013

The saw has now been stripped down and the engine has been through the dishwasher and a new Coil, Condenser, lock washer, seals, gaskets, bearings and fixings sourced. Today I hope to have the engine reassembled.

Old 27-02-18, 11:05 PM   #7
adgecutler
Forum Supporter 2013

I'm trying not to use too many Photos due to the bandwidth thingy on the forum, but, progress has been made.

This picture show the "special" cylider with flange to accomodate rotatable Carburettor mounting.

The mount itself:

Although it sounded OK while pulling the engine over I'm glad I did strip it down. These bearing would have caused some major grief if allowed to run:

Old 10-03-18, 08:37 PM   #8
adgecutler
Forum Supporter 2013

The powerhead is now reassembled so I thought I would go for a trial startup. Just need to free up the chain now and make up a pipe from the cylinder to the chain oil reservior (which is also the front handle), this pressurises the reservior in order to pump the oil to the bar. I also need to make the pipe up to go between the reservior and bar.
Old 10-03-18, 08:51 PM   #9
Robotstar5

Nice to hear it running although the dog appeared to want it's bed back at the start of the clip

Stuart.
Old 10-03-18, 09:55 PM   #10
splitter

Nice sounds a bit like a Villiers star maker.
splitter is offline   Reply With Quote