UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Restorations Section

Old 13-03-18, 07:29 PM   #41
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Simply that you can flick a mag over on the bench a deal faster than cranking speed.

Open circuit measurement is never a good thing but depending where the break is, it could soldier on for ages.

NHH
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-18, 06:03 PM   #42
woodsman

Got heads off and cylinders - bores look OK. Had a peer inside and it doesn't look too gunky.
Left hand piston had only one seized ring which slowly freed up with a little heat and GT85. Right hand piston is more of a challenge - all rings seized. I have managed to free up one compression ring using same method but the other are proving more stubborn. I'm wary of applying a lot of heat in case I ruin the temper. Any advice on safest way to proceed - don't want to snap any as I did with a Villiers a while back.

Tha can alus tell a Yorkshireman - but tha can't tell him much.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-18, 06:39 PM   #43
1956ld1

Lots of oil/diesel/anything that will lubricate etc. and very gentle heat to the piston itself ( since its aluminum it should expand at a faster rate than the rings ). I would then get to work with a small screwdriver such as a phase tester. This is my usual method but I could be wrong.
Josh.
1956ld1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-18, 04:53 PM   #44
woodsman

OK - first the good news...

Cylinder heads pickled in citric acid solution for a couple of days came out nicely -see pics. Wondering whether to do the barrels as well.

Whipped out the valves from one cylinder (that little pin retaining the spring cap is so much easier than the spilt cotters used by Villiers) and seats look pretty good but lapped them in anyway to remove slight pitting. Cleaned up valve stems, guides, springs and inlet / exhaust. Re-assembled and all operating smoothly.

Now the bad...

Despite patiently heat cycling and applying loads of Plus Gas, GT 85 and careful scraping with a scalpel the second compression ring came out in two pieces. Looking at the break I think it may already have been cracked.

So, can anyone suggest where to get replacements - I'd probably also go for a couple of oil control rings just in case. Any advice gratefully received.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image21.jpg (86.5 KB, 27 views)

Old 22-03-18, 05:48 PM   #45
1956ld1

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
OK - first the good news...

Cylinder heads pickled in citric acid solution for a couple of days came out nicely -see pics. Wondering whether to do the barrels as well.

Whipped out the valves from one cylinder (that little pin retaining the spring cap is so much easier than the spilt cotters used by Villiers) and seats look pretty good but lapped them in anyway to remove slight pitting. Cleaned up valve stems, guides, springs and inlet / exhaust. Re-assembled and all operating smoothly.

Now the bad...

Despite patiently heat cycling and applying loads of Plus Gas, GT 85 and careful scraping with a scalpel the second compression ring came out in two pieces. Looking at the break I think it may already have been cracked.

So, can anyone suggest where to get replacements - I'd probably also go for a couple of oil control rings just in case. Any advice gratefully received.
I got mine from cox and turner.
Old 22-03-18, 06:50 PM   #46
woodsman

Cheers Josh. Already dropped them a line but thanks anyway. Fingers crossed.

Old 29-03-18, 12:32 PM   #47
woodsman

Still working on freeing up the remaining rings but I have a new question or two.

My copy of the working instructions states clearly on the front cover 'T.300 Mk One, Serial letters TE'. However on the first inside page dated June 1965 the heading reads Type T.300 MK II - and someone has stencilled the word 'one' over the top.

Magneto drive cover is rounded as stated previously.

Looking at the parts diagrams shows two compression rings and one oil control ring per piston - all at the top. My pistons have an additional oil control ring at the bottom. Any ideas?

Old 29-03-18, 01:11 PM   #48
Lister M

In my experience you cant always rely on manuals particularly when you have one that's been changed like yours. A lot of the time they tell you the basics only.

Martin P
Old 29-03-18, 07:26 PM   #49
1956ld1

I think one of my Normans has 4 rings aswell
Old 03-04-18, 05:58 PM   #50
woodsman

Next question.
Am I right in thinking the T300 has a Solex carburettor and, if so, what is thread size of the inlet?