UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > General Transport Section > Towing & Trailers

Old 02-02-18, 01:40 PM   #191
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh View Post
Dad used to reline brakes himself on his vintage cars and 'bikes. Considering he had been doing so since the 1950's when the lining materials were probably full of asbestos, I guess it's amazing he lasted as long as he did!

NHH
We did all our own at the quarry as well, airchisel them off and put the new ones on in a vice with a hammer and an old bolt. Dust everywhere and black faces afterwards, and don't even mention about blowing off the brake drums and also the clutch area of Gardner and Rolls flywheels with compressed air!

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 03:57 PM   #192
air-cooled

Quote:
There's more than a few kit cars on the road like that - 'rebuilt' from a chassis plate and a V5.

NHH
..and it's not just kit cars, I seem to recall there was a fairly rare steam wagon rebuilt from just 2 wheels and an axle

Phillip
Old 02-02-18, 04:19 PM   #193
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by air-cooled View Post
..and it's not just kit cars, I seem to recall there was a fairly rare steam wagon rebuilt from just 2 wheels and an axle

Phillip
On the Festiniog, Teliesin was "rebuilt" from a reversing lever

And was Lyd not "restored" from a chimney?

Paul.
Old 02-02-18, 04:28 PM   #194
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Those might perhaps be describes as replicas - the dodgy kit cars are basically ringers with a new build that should be put through IVA, assuming the identity of an earlier vehicle registered when all you needed was an MOT.

They get away with it because very few people are going to notice the difference between one Lotus 7-esque car and another.

NHH
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 04:49 PM   #195
miley_bob

Quote:
Those might perhaps be describes as replicas - the dodgy kit cars are basically ringers with a new build that should be put through IVA, assuming the identity of an earlier vehicle registered when all you needed was an MOT.

They get away with it because very few people are going to notice the difference between one Lotus 7-esque car and another.

NHH
This sort of thing is currently getting cracked down on by the DVLA.
miley_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 04:58 PM   #196
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Good thing too, been a few 'Duttons' on ebay which seem to have mysteriously grown a nice space frame in place of the original floppy ladder chassis and more than a few bodywork changes! Someone on the kit car facebook page used to shout them out but that seems to have stopped now.

What do you know about registering new build steam vehicles - I don't know anyone who has done it since the LVLO's closed when it seemed to be very simple?

NHH
Old 02-02-18, 05:28 PM   #197
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

The IVA is as complex as you want to make it, there is plenty of information available on the internet, so as long as you read through the questionnaire and check out things like light positioning and approvals, brake efficiencies (with data from the axle and brake makers) and so on, it shouldn't be a problem.

I can see that going through IVA is a bit of overkill for tiddly trailers, but in that situation I'd buy a ready-made trailer, rather than build one.

Our build file is quite thick now, but it has opened our eyes to many things, especially the number of lighting fittings on ebay that are not Type Approved.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 05:53 PM   #198
miley_bob

Quote:
Good thing too, been a few 'Duttons' on ebay which seem to have mysteriously grown a nice space frame in place of the original floppy ladder chassis and more than a few bodywork changes! Someone on the kit car facebook page used to shout them out but that seems to have stopped now.

What do you know about registering new build steam vehicles - I don't know anyone who has done it since the LVLO's closed when it seemed to be very simple?

NHH
I used to work in our local office and only ever had 1 customer come in to register a miniature.

As long as they don't exceed a certain speed (I think its 25mph), they are exempt from type approval, so would be ok to register. You would have to complete a V55-4, Declaration of newness and provide an insurance certificate.
Old 02-02-18, 06:00 PM   #199
miley_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post

Our build file is quite thick now, but it has opened our eyes to many things, especially the number of lighting fittings on ebay that are not Type Approved.

Peter
Peter

You would be amazed at how many big light manufacturers try selling us lights that have no approvals. We even once had a supplier claim we were trying to put them out of business, because we refused to buy from them until they got their product approved.

Before fitting any new lights we ask for samples of the component and copies of the approval documents for that light. Its also amazing how many companies cannot supply the paperwork to back up the approval that is marked on their lamp.
Old 02-02-18, 10:36 PM   #200
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by miley_bob View Post
I used to work in our local office and only ever had 1 customer come in to register a miniature.

As long as they don't exceed a certain speed (I think its 25mph), they are exempt from type approval, so would be ok to register. You would have to complete a V55-4, Declaration of newness and provide an insurance certificate.
Thanks - though I'm not a hot fog enthusiast I do rather admire those kit built steam cars one sees about at the shows.

NHH