UK Stationary Engine Forum
 

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Other Driven Equipment

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-01-16, 06:48 PM   #1
timothygstokes
Senior Member
 
timothygstokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Smethwick
Posts: 522
Default Bench mounted pillar drill

Hi all, I won a bench mounted vintage pillar drill on ebay a few days ago, and I finally took delivery of it yesterday. It's in a good, clean condition, and it isn't very heavy regarding weight. My only issue is I have no idea of who made it. The only markings I can find on the drill are "TB" and "No 14", which are cast into the main body on the left if the drill is facing me. My first thought is Record for the manufacturer, as I have seen quite a few Record items with "No 14" cast into them somewhere. Please find attached a photo of the markings, and a photo of the drill overall.

Cheers ,

Tim

edit: could one of the admin rotate the pictures the right way up please? I don't know how to do it on here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160115_194711.jpg (45.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 20160115_194741.jpg (70.4 KB, 49 views)
__________________
Archivist for The Unofficial Lister D Type Owners Register
1945 Lister D Type 1 1/2 HP(26DH196040), 1942 Briggs & Stratton Model I (63981), Villiers C12 Gen Set (257351), Climax Water Pump.

Last edited by timothygstokes; 17-01-16 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Needed help
timothygstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-16, 12:11 AM   #2
timothygstokes
Senior Member
 
timothygstokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Smethwick
Posts: 522
Default

Just thought I'd bump this up, really curious as to the manufacturer. If anyone has any information on this type of drill, or similar makes, then please comment
__________________
Archivist for The Unofficial Lister D Type Owners Register
1945 Lister D Type 1 1/2 HP(26DH196040), 1942 Briggs & Stratton Model I (63981), Villiers C12 Gen Set (257351), Climax Water Pump.
timothygstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-16, 01:48 AM   #3
'A' Lister
Senior Member
 
'A' Lister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 4,074
Default

I've no idea of the maker, but it's a lovely looking thing. I bet you are well pleased with it.
__________________
Jules-
1940 Lister D, 1940 Lister A, 1943 Lister D, Bentall Mk J corn mill, Bamford K1 Rapid Mill, Lister H2 Pump, 12v CAV dynamo.
'A' Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-16, 09:35 AM   #4
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter
 
martinpaff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lincoln, UK
Posts: 11,783
Default

These things were made in their thousands, by hundreds of manufacturers, and they were all very similar. The "No.14" is no help; many manufacturers used similar idents. Unless you stumble across an identical item you will probably have to settle for not knowing. Even if you do find an identical drill, there's every possibility that it was contract-made by a 3rd party manufacturer so it might have been called something else...

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-16, 05:54 PM   #5
timothygstokes
Senior Member
 
timothygstokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Smethwick
Posts: 522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'A' Lister View Post
I've no idea of the maker, but it's a lovely looking thing. I bet you are well pleased with it.
Thanks Jules, I am really pleased with it to be honest. It came with a small pulley on it instead of the flywheel, but it also came with the flywheel so I bought a puller so I could get the pulley off and fit the flywheel instead.

Thanks
Tim
__________________
Archivist for The Unofficial Lister D Type Owners Register
1945 Lister D Type 1 1/2 HP(26DH196040), 1942 Briggs & Stratton Model I (63981), Villiers C12 Gen Set (257351), Climax Water Pump.
timothygstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-16, 05:54 PM   #6
timothygstokes
Senior Member
 
timothygstokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Smethwick
Posts: 522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinpaff View Post
These things were made in their thousands, by hundreds of manufacturers, and they were all very similar. The "No.14" is no help; many manufacturers used similar idents. Unless you stumble across an identical item you will probably have to settle for not knowing. Even if you do find an identical drill, there's every possibility that it was contract-made by a 3rd party manufacturer so it might have been called something else...

MP
Oh, okay. Thanks for the information Martin

Cheers
Tim
__________________
Archivist for The Unofficial Lister D Type Owners Register
1945 Lister D Type 1 1/2 HP(26DH196040), 1942 Briggs & Stratton Model I (63981), Villiers C12 Gen Set (257351), Climax Water Pump.
timothygstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-16, 06:01 PM   #7
ListerHA2
Senior Member
 
ListerHA2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 532
Default

If you Google "hand pillar drill" and then go to images a lot of useful images pop up.

http://www.lassco.co.uk/a-vintage-pillar-drill
ListerHA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-16, 06:23 PM   #8
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011
 
Windrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Matlock, Derbyshire.
Posts: 7,013
Default

I inherited Anne's Grandfathers old Union pillar drill on his death and it has been sitting in my shed for Donkey's years now. I actually found a use for it a couple of years ago, I used it as a press to fit the recessed valve spring collets into a diesel Escort van cylinder head! Apart from that it hasn't been used since I have owned it, however I know darn well that if I ever do decide to sell it I will then encounter a task that it would have been ideal for!

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-16, 01:13 PM   #9
timothygstokes
Senior Member
 
timothygstokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Smethwick
Posts: 522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrush View Post
I inherited Anne's Grandfathers old Union pillar drill on his death and it has been sitting in my shed for Donkey's years now. I actually found a use for it a couple of years ago, I used it as a press to fit the recessed valve spring collets into a diesel Escort van cylinder head! Apart from that it hasn't been used since I have owned it, however I know darn well that if I ever do decide to sell it I will then encounter a task that it would have been ideal for!

Pete.
I think i'd have a hard time doing that job with mine . And, if you ever do decide to sell it, put me down on the list of potential buyers .

Cheers,
Tim
__________________
Archivist for The Unofficial Lister D Type Owners Register
1945 Lister D Type 1 1/2 HP(26DH196040), 1942 Briggs & Stratton Model I (63981), Villiers C12 Gen Set (257351), Climax Water Pump.
timothygstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-16, 01:16 PM   #10
timothygstokes
Senior Member
 
timothygstokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Smethwick
Posts: 522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ListerHA2 View Post
If you Google "hand pillar drill" and then go to images a lot of useful images pop up.

http://www.lassco.co.uk/a-vintage-pillar-drill
Thanks for that, I'll have a look when i'm not in college.

Cheers,
Tim
__________________
Archivist for The Unofficial Lister D Type Owners Register
1945 Lister D Type 1 1/2 HP(26DH196040), 1942 Briggs & Stratton Model I (63981), Villiers C12 Gen Set (257351), Climax Water Pump.
timothygstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.