UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > General Transport Section > Member's Vehicles

Old 24-01-18, 10:47 AM   #11
chrismac
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrush View Post
I agree with the above post, those 1.6 diesels need (in a John Cleese voice) "A good thrashing" at least once a week to stand any chance of preventing turbo problems. I rebuilt one a couple of years ago that had just pottered around locally and it cost the owner a blooming fortune, the 2.0 litre HDI versions don't seem to suffer as they don't have the particle filter and also don't require 'pig pee' adding to the system!

Pete.
A friend at work has a 06 plate, 407 sw, 1.6 hdi, apart from the electrical germlins, yes he also has the warning about particulate filter level low, what get added and where do you know Pete?

Chris.
chrismac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-18, 11:33 AM   #12
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismac View Post
A friend at work has a 06 plate, 407 sw, 1.6 hdi, apart from the electrical germlins, yes he also has the warning about particulate filter level low, what get added and where do you know Pete?

Chris.
It is a additive similar to Ad Blu that trucks use but called Eolys fluid and I believe there are two different types Chris? Any motor factor should stock it. The manual (or Google!) should tell you where the filler is located, some are handily placed under the bonnet but on certain models it is under the rear seat. Never topped one up myself though but it should be done at service time.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/a...fuel-additive-

Pete.

Last edited by Windrush; 24-01-18 at 11:39 AM.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-18, 03:51 PM   #13
RobSmith
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippie View Post
Engine swap and ecu as a minimum I'd have thought?

Brakes/suspension compatible?
It is a Peugeot. Some mechanical parts might be interchangeable but I very much doubt any wiring is. We have three poo-goes, mine, my wifes and a parts one. I have robbed lots of parts off the scrap one but it seems any electronic item is bespoke to that year / model etc.
Old 24-01-18, 04:01 PM   #14
RobSmith
Forum Supporter 2013

This load was only about half a tonne but a 1.4hdi doesnt like that much wind resistance.
I did two runs of about 120miles each. The first run I had a small fire inside the turbo heat shielding where all the muck and oil collects. I removed all the plastic vanity panels from around the engine and then it was ok.
It hasn't been the same since. I think I may have toasted the turbo or damaged something. Fuel economy is now terrible.
The embedded picture doesn't seem to want to work... but it is here..... http://imgur.com/J0iE0vH
Old 24-01-18, 04:04 PM   #15
Crash Test Johnie

Thanks for the great response chaps I think I may have now found a suitable 2.0 his model . Cheers John.
Crash Test Johnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-18, 05:13 PM   #16
Robotstar5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrush View Post
It is a additive similar to Ad Blu that trucks use but called Eolys fluid and I believe there are two different types Chris? Any motor factor should stock it. The manual (or Google!) should tell you where the filler is located, some are handily placed under the bonnet but on certain models it is under the rear seat. Never topped one up myself though but it should be done at service time.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/a...fuel-additive-

Pete.
Not sure what type we put in the new build cars at work, it's just known as the UREA machine and charges the tank as the car goes down the assembly track.

Stuart.
Old 24-01-18, 11:29 PM   #17
Dan_pt
Forum Supporter 2011

On the 1.6 and 2.0 litre Focuses and C-Maxes fitted with the awful fuel additive systems the tank would need refilling at around 70000 miles. The major disadvantage of the additive is that when it burns in the DPF it leaves an ash deposit behind that isn't removed by regeneration. Ultimately the ash builds up and blocks the filter, I can't remember for sure but I think the DPF was supposed to be changed at 70k too. My mate who worked at a Volvo dealership said that the S and V50's had to have the filter changed at that interval too, the 70k service must have cost an absolute fortune.

Dan.
Dan_pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-18, 12:03 AM   #18
graham tdi
Forum Light User

On the Volvo's the additive tank was refilled at 36000 and at 72000 the tank was refilled and the particulate filter replaced.
graham tdi is offline   Reply With Quote