UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Marine Engines and Accessories

Old 17-06-16, 12:27 AM   #1
winchestergoose

Default Stuart Turner ..R3M ,problems

I have a R3m that i have been running at shows for a number of years now,always starts easly and runs well.....that is until the last show .I noticed even though the engine was running well it was dribbling emulsified oil from the exhaust. My immediate conclusion was that the cylinder head gasket was the problem but then it occured to me that if water was entering the combustion chamber the plug would short out . I removed the head and the gasket appeared to be ok . Next I took off the expansion chamber cover. There is some corrosion on the machined surface and perhaps water was leaking from the water jacket ports into the chamber. A small amount would not stop the engine but would emulsify as it passed through the muffler. So I have refaced the expansion chamber cover. I'll install new gaskets and see how it goes .
One other puzzle .....when I cranked the engine I noticed that oil was being expelled from the cranking shaft ,that is the housing that contains the chain sprocket . I then thought that perhaps a crankshaft seal was at fault but then if this was the case I am certain if there was pressure in the gearbox it would bre releaved via the dip stick hole ..........puzzling.
winchestergoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-16, 10:09 AM   #2
Philipte

The gearbox side of the engine is entirely separate from the magneto side of the engine, so your oil seal may well be faulty. They are easily available off the shelf from any decent bearing supplier.
Philipte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-16, 12:20 PM   #3
winchestergoose

Thanks ,I have pulled down a P5 and a P55 a bit different from the R3m so if i remove the gearbox can I get to the seal?
winchestergoose is offline   Reply With Quote