UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > General Transport Section > Towing & Trailers

Old 21-03-17, 08:07 PM   #21
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsechoes View Post
Yes Nick, they mean the same thing, though I tend to associate GTW with commercials.
ISTR VIN plate on the Wagon R actually stated GTW - must look at the one on Roomster.

NHH
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-17, 08:16 PM   #22
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinpaff View Post
(snip) GCW, same as Gross Train Weight. MAM, Maximum Authorised Mass. Why the hell can they not stick to just one set of terminology?
I guess terms involving mass are more general as they will mean the same even if you get pinched on another planet, whereas weight will of course vary with local gravity.

EDIT; An excellent example of the authorities thinking ahead.

NHH

Last edited by nickh; 21-03-17 at 08:24 PM.
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-17, 11:25 PM   #23
pulsechoes

From my dim and distant Physics lessons, I seem to remember that mass is a constant but weight can vary with the amount of gravity it is exposed to.
Mass is the "amount" of matter an object contains. A 1 tonne block of lead has a mass of 1 tonne and a weight of 1 tonne at sea level. Take it into outer
space and it still has a mass of 1 tonne but weighs progressively less the further away from Earths gravity it travels, until it becomes weightless.

The Planet Earth has a virtually incalculable mass ( billions upon billions of tonnes) but no actual "weight". It just hangs in space like a party balloon.
Old 30-04-17, 03:46 PM   #24
listerlad

Location: Sat in the Garden of England, enjoying the sunshine

Visted a local rally. Was looking at the maypole trailers that The Wagon Works from Canterbury had to offer. Nothing really looked suitable for me. Looked too short to accommodate my lister junior. Looks like to have another look around or change the car for a Fiat Doblo or similar which is what I should of done.

Ollie
Old 07-08-17, 03:31 PM   #25
listerlad

I was thinking about putting my Fairbanks Morse Z 1.5hp on the little Erde 102 in the garage but there's a lack of tie down points. Was only going to tow behind my grey fergie but don't know where I could strap to, best to be safe than sorry.

Ollie
Old 07-08-17, 04:26 PM   #26
pulsechoes

IMHO those "Erde" trailers are fine for keeping biscuits in. Looking closely at their construction, if You put tie downs in it and put tension on the straps, they would probably fold up!! They would be OK for tents and sleeping bags but not much else.
Old 07-08-17, 05:53 PM   #27
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Lined the bed and sides of my 142 with plywood and use U bolts with spreader plates without a issue, fine for smaller engines but my genset is pushing its limits.
Old 07-08-17, 06:41 PM   #28
Robotstar5

If it's similar construction to the 121 I have, there is a 2" SHS "axle" that carries the indespension units about 4" below the trailer floor. Fit upstands with spreader plates on between the "axle" and the floor which will give you a couple of "hardpoints" to fit tie down eyes to.

Stuart.
Old 08-08-17, 10:23 AM   #29
listerlad

Sounds like a board it out and put spreader plates in.

Ollie
Old 08-08-17, 11:28 AM   #30
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

...or get rid of the Toys R Us "My First Trailer" and get something a bit more robust?

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote