UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > General Transport Section > Towing & Trailers

Old 10-01-12, 09:27 PM   #21
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by follytowers View Post
David.
I think the thread that you started and you're referring to is this one entitled "vintage engine/equipment display."
I hadn't seen that one until now, but Peter started this one announcing the future plans for testing - no doubt spurred on by your own project.
A link found in your thread suggests anything constructed 3 months prior will also be affected.
Glad to hear your sorted anyway.
I've moved Dave's post back to his thread, just so you know where it went...

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12, 01:55 PM   #22
Paul_Sterling

Hi Everyone,

the Legislation and test WILL be backdated by an effect of 3 months, so anything built after July 31st will need to be tested, however, in separate sentances in the same article (i have the PDF for trailer compliance, 100 or so pages) there is also an April 2012 deadline to backdate to.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 29-02-12, 12:28 AM   #23
minorman
Forum Supporter 2012

Angry

I have tried to wade through some of the documentation and it's as clear as mud. Most of it implies that you are a manufacturer and not an individual. The nearest thing I have seen in the past is SVA for cars and this is a nightmare. e.g. Most car dashboard instruments pre say 1960 would fail as "The rims are too sharp" . Fortunately they have not tried to kill off classic cars (Yet) by other routes. In the trailer approval documentation I have seen the words "Fees apply" but haven't found how much yet. The trouble is, if the gestapo (sorry PC plod) gets let loose on trailer legislation then they will give us "old pre IVA trailer owners" tickets and then we have to prove our innocence. Another thing is , will there be a registration document and reg. number(more fees) together with annual MOT (more fees) and possibly a tax and compulsory insurance (more money) .The sooner GB plc gets out of the eu and perhaps our spineless, greedy politicians are shot at dawn then the better. Elf and safety is always the way they argue now to get control over our daily lives.

I try to keep all my vehicles and trailer safe for use on the road. I put up with the MOT but think a trailer that only does perhaps 100 miles a year is totally OTT for testing.
minorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-12, 08:36 AM   #24
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorman View Post
I have tried to wade through some of the documentation and it's as clear as mud. Most of it implies that you are a manufacturer and not an individual. The nearest thing I have seen in the past is SVA for cars and this is a nightmare. e.g. Most car dashboard instruments pre say 1960 would fail as "The rims are too sharp" . Fortunately they have not tried to kill off classic cars (Yet) by other routes. In the trailer approval documentation I have seen the words "Fees apply" but haven't found how much yet. The trouble is, if the gestapo (sorry PC plod) gets let loose on trailer legislation then they will give us "old pre IVA trailer owners" tickets and then we have to prove our innocence. Another thing is , will there be a registration document and reg. number(more fees) together with annual MOT (more fees) and possibly a tax and compulsory insurance (more money) .The sooner GB plc gets out of the eu and perhaps our spineless, greedy politicians are shot at dawn then the better. Elf and safety is always the way they argue now to get control over our daily lives.

I try to keep all my vehicles and trailer safe for use on the road. I put up with the MOT but think a trailer that only does perhaps 100 miles a year is totally OTT for testing.
The Stories about trailer MOT's are just stories, it will be inspections from new that IS coming in, manufacturers will have one of each particular design tested, and one off builders like ourselves will have to get the trailer tested/inspected after completing the trailer. if you follow the instructions and requirements of the book thats available (you can download it, if anyone wants a copy, PM'm me).

frankly although it will be an additional cost, and time consuming, I welcome it, after seeing some of the horrors that people try to claim are trailers on the road, i welcome any legislation that will stop any more of these mobile scrap yards being built.

Saw one shed on the back of a brand new range rover last week. now i'm sorry, but if you can afford 70k on a range rover, why cant you splash out another 3k on a new trailer instead of towing round what looked like, for all intensive purposes, a farm cart.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 29-02-12, 08:43 AM   #25
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

I agree with Paul and others on this, there is no reason why a trailer should not be tested or at least inspected annually, it goes on the roads for free, there are no extra charges for using a trailer, apart from maybe insurance, so why not have it tested?

There are some pretty awful trailers out there!

Peter
Old 29-02-12, 09:45 AM   #26
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
I agree with Paul and others on this, there is no reason why a trailer should not be tested or at least inspected annually, it goes on the roads for free, there are no extra charges for using a trailer, apart from maybe insurance, so why not have it tested?

Peter
I wish i'd taken a photo of that one at York Peter, it staggers me how some people can tow what is in effect a wrecking ball behind their car in such poor state of repair.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 29-02-12, 11:20 AM   #27
follytowers
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorman View Post

It is utterly pointless on speculating on what might happen. What you end up with is different slants, depending on whether the author is a 'glass is half empty', or a 'glass is half full' sort of person.
If the question of whether to test was instead to be worded, "Should everyone else's trailer be inspected", we would all say yes, ignoring the fact it is, lets be honest, a good enforced way to look at our own trailers with a critical eye.
Testing is ok, (apart from my own ) but the 'thin edge of the wedge' could be the worrying part. So there is no option but to wait patiently - unfortunately .

Bearing in mind something will be coming, I have got my newly acquired one up to scratch, even down to side reflectors and side markers (optional on my size - just about) mainly because to the police's eye, if it looks OK, it generally is.
Too much watching Road Wars and hearing "Look at that old shed - let's give it a tug"
Time to go, as my glass is half empty.
follytowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-12, 11:37 AM   #28
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
mainly because to the police's eye, if it looks OK, it generally is.
That is very true, I've never had a pull for trailer or vehicle problems, only one was late at night as I was coming through Kimbolton with the trailer on and a CS on the back. Just passed a Police car at a junction and they came after and stopped me.

It was the lateness of the hour they said, but probably also they were bored...

Peter
Old 29-02-12, 12:56 PM   #29
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
(snip)It is utterly pointless on speculating on what might happen.
What will happen it that rules and regulations drawn up by faceless bureaucrats will proliferate until no one can do anything for fear of transgressing - they will then have complete control over our lives.

EDIT; Cup dry as two short bones!

NHH

Last edited by nickh; 29-02-12 at 01:02 PM.
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-12, 02:33 PM   #30
novo

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post

Peter
Judging by the amount of people driving without tax/insurance/M.O.T./driving licence etc.I imagine testing trailers would be a case of the decent ones going for tests & the low life's not bothering.Lets face it if you're towing a death trap you know it.