UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > General Transport Section > Towing & Trailers

Old 05-07-10, 09:55 PM   #21
v12trikes
Forum Supporter 2013

Smile

Hi, i use my mig for welding the channel, only used the tig for panel work, i would be intrested to see your drawing of a trailer, as my other carried 5.5 ton without breaking a sweat, over made wasteful, and i think i will use steel this time. regards Don v12 trikes.
v12trikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-10, 10:00 PM   #22
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

I started this one so many times, and then got sidetracked, I'll have to wind up the CAD PC and have a look at what I did.

The biggest issue is the front axle and how you do the pivot and the brakes, everything else is pure trailer and not difficult.

A steering turntable, especially a ball-bearing unit is mega-expensive, 1k plus in small numbers, so I'd be inclined to use something else that had a 2" diameter shaft going through a pair of big taper roller bearings, and could be found in a scrap yard for pennies.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-10, 10:16 PM   #23
v12trikes
Forum Supporter 2013

Smile

Hi, thats a good idea, maybe as well two large dia plates with half a doz roller bearings around the out side edge to give stabelity an the turn, large bearings with two inch shaft at centre regards Don v12 trikes.
Old 05-07-10, 11:50 PM   #24
Dave Carter
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12trikes View Post
Hi, thats a good idea, maybe as well two large dia plates with half a doz roller bearings around the out side edge to give stabelity an the turn, large bearings with two inch shaft at centre regards Don v12 trikes.
About a year ago I went to look under a box draw bar trailer that was parked near the workshop. IIRC about 3t gtw. Tow hitch mounted on a pivotting "A" frame.
The front axle was a full indespension beam with brakes and mounted about 4 inches below the turntable. There was a gap directly under the turntable where the front to rear brake compensator was mounted. The anchor plate for the cable going to the rear brake compensator was directly under the pivot centre. The cable going to the rear was supported from the floor underside with light chain for flexibility and had quite a bit of spare length to accomodate for the whole axle turning. I didn't get to see just how far the axle turned but the driver said he only had problems if he tried to u-turn and had to put a shunt in. The van had a long wheelbase so the turning circle would be fairly large any way.

For a turntable pivot, try a fully floating rear hub bearing, wheel flange and axle tube end from the likes of a twin wheeled Transit, similar, or larger.
Easily dismantled, fully adjustable .......... and available from a scrappy near you!!.

Regards, Dave.

Last edited by Dave Carter; 05-07-10 at 11:54 PM.
Dave Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 07:15 AM   #25
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12trikes View Post
I don't think that you would need the extra bearings if the centre pivot was big and solid enough, and the beam was good enough to take the bending moment,

The square section used on our existing new beams is 80mm so I'd guess that we would have another one of those running behind the pivot point with connecting frame and mounting for the pivot. That would give you a double beamed axle which should carry the twisting etc OK.

Our axles ARE Meredith & Eyre, RSA130203 1300kg each, so 3 of them would easily cover 3.5tonnes. I'll speak with them later to find out if they have a drawbar solution for the front axle.

Peter
Old 06-07-10, 07:17 AM   #26
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Carter View Post
For a turntable pivot, try a fully floating rear hub bearing, wheel flange and axle tube end from the likes of a twin wheeled Transit, similar, or larger. Easily dismantled, fully adjustable .......... and available from a scrappy near you!!.

Regards, Dave.
Thanks for that, Dave, that's how I see the construction as well, and something like a transit hub assembly should be OK as well.

I'd like to use sealed bearings if possible, but it does depend on what is available and at what cost.

Peter
Old 06-07-10, 08:39 AM   #27
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Spoke with Meredith & Eyre this morning, there are no known issues with using the standard axle as we discussed, and we 'can' buy the bare axle tube with brackets fitted if we wanted to, which would make the building of the front axle a lot easier.

Peter
Old 06-07-10, 08:56 AM   #28
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=260629802318

I think that this would be too long for us as it is over 7m.

Peter
Old 06-07-10, 10:21 AM   #29
v12trikes
Forum Supporter 2013

Smile

Hi, well what a wealth of information, i will now peruse at my leisure and try to formulate a plan, thank's for every thing will let you know how thing's progress regards Don v12 trikes.
Old 06-07-10, 10:48 AM   #30
v12trikes
Forum Supporter 2013

Smile

Hi, Peter before i lose the thread what would be your idea's for metal sizes and wall thickness regards Don v12 trikes.