UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > General Transport Section > Towing & Trailers

Old 05-07-10, 06:09 PM   #11
v12trikes
Forum Supporter 2013

Question

Hi, i understand the lack of stability at 90 degrees, but when would you ever turn so sharply,under normal use 10/15 would be max, could please explain the problems using Indespension units because we used air bags at the end or radius arms for years with no problem, regards Don v12 trikes.
v12trikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-10, 06:29 PM   #12
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Hi Don:

I'm just talking this through in my head, so bear with me.

The Indespension beams are trailing arm, and we would need two of those at the back for the engine end of things, and one steerable at the front.

As they are trailing arm, the front axle pivot point needs to be at the centre of the axis of the wheels, so it would need to be offset by approx 100mm forward of the wheel, which implies that a sort of cradle would be needed, not a big drama but would need thinking about. The new beams that we have sitting on the floor are made by A N Other and have 80mm square beam tubes. Perhaps we should use individual Indespension units on a custom front axle?

So 6-wheel, 3-axle, 5.5metre body length and another 1.5metre for the drawbar, 7.0metres is the max allowed length for a gross towing vehicle weight of 3.5 tonnes and under. We need 2.5 metres or so for the engine, based on what we do with the trailer at present.

In what is left over, you'll have a step at the front to allow the front axle to turn underneath, so two bunks above that, and the other side against the division for the engine compartment you could have the kitchen, sink, shower etc.

I feel a drawing coming on....

7 metres X 2.55 metres are the max plan sizes, height is not restrictive.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-10, 06:56 PM   #13
v12trikes
Forum Supporter 2013

Wink

Hi, keep the thought's coming, regards the front axle with the axel centre being 100mm back from the centre of the turn table the axle when not under load ie overrun the trailing arm effect would tend to make the axle run in a straight line regards Don v12 trikes.
Old 05-07-10, 07:19 PM   #14
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

We reckon, after a few fag-packet sketches, that it could all be done, and within the overall weight limit (for us) of 3.5 tonnes fully loaded. Water and waste storage not included

The existing trailer weighs in at a touch over half a ton, but it is very heavily built, and we could save a lot of weight on a new build, so if we take off the engine weight of 1.7 tonnes on its trolley, that leaves 1.8 tonnes for the trailer and fittings.

If we keep the floor low, then an interior height of 6ft 6" or 2 metres would be possible, giving storage space over the top of the engine inside the rear compartment.

Peter
Old 05-07-10, 07:39 PM   #15
v12trikes
Forum Supporter 2013

Question

Hi, back to my trailer any ideas on size of steel or alloy needed, i tend to over do my trailers, so this time i am going to be wiser
regards Don v12 trikes.
Old 05-07-10, 07:41 PM   #16
v12trikes
Forum Supporter 2013

Wink

Hi, p/s my last trailer i built out of alloy, had a lot of alloy channel hanging about, regards Don v12 trikes.
Old 05-07-10, 07:41 PM   #17
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

What weight capacity do you need, Don?

What can your car tow?

Here's what I wrote 12 years ago:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/die...es/trailer.htm

Here are some nice ones, but expensive!

http://www.humbaur.com/en/products/p.../1/models.html

Peter
Old 05-07-10, 08:06 PM   #18
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12trikes View Post
Hi, p/s my last trailer i built out of alloy, had a lot of alloy channel hanging about, regards Don v12 trikes.
Unless you have some serious extrusion AND a good TIG welder, I'd stay with steel, although if weight was a real problem then I'd use alloy extrusion from the bodybuilder's stock sections for the upper body.

Peter
Old 05-07-10, 09:37 PM   #19
v12trikes
Forum Supporter 2013

Smile

Hi, i aim to go for the max allowed by law, allowing for bigger and better engines in times to come, at the moment i have a crossley 1040 with dyno, a ruston ps6, a lister cs 3.1, a bradford 2.5 enclosed crank, a ruston 10pb, a ruston 6pb, a turner 6.5hp, a international m 3hp in bits lots missing, a wolsley
wd2 with pump, a twin cylinder ruston lincon working, a mixture of pumps,
my tow motor is a isuzu 3.1 td 2.5 ton unladen regards Don v12 trikes.
Old 05-07-10, 09:47 PM   #20
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

OK so you'll have no real weight problems then

Peter