UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Restorations Section

Old 01-05-17, 07:50 PM   #1
2010macjac

Default Finally got one!

well I have been hanging my nose over a engine in a local shed for 4 years now and 6 months ago it came for sale, I made a good bid on it and the owner was happy. however his daughter became very ill, so I kept in touch and kept the pressure off. however someone else got wind of the engine and also put in a lower bid on it. then disaster struck with the passing of his daughter the owner got confused and sold it to the other bloke! I was and still am gutted but am still talking to the chap and its not a problem.

now the good news, I managed to find another engine also local to me with a lot a bidding its home!

the engine in question is a Ruston and Hornsby PB 4.5HP built in Lincoln and sold by A.G. Cooper Wisbech. And now its back in Morton, Lincolnshire so she hasn't travelled far in life.

IMG-20170501-WA0006 by John Clare, on Flickr
IMG-20170501-WA0005 by John Clare, on Flickr
IMG-20170501-WA0003 by John Clare, on Flickr
looking forward to getting into it. never had a Ruston so I will be doing lots of research to get this one perfect.
Old 01-05-17, 07:58 PM   #2
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Patience pays off in the end, well done and enjoy it.

Neil.
Hornet 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-17, 08:04 PM   #3
Appletop

That's a nice lump. And looks to be an easy task to get going.

Bit of a lump though so watch ya toes!

Potest non melior Petter. milia passuum melius quam Lister
Appletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-17, 08:08 PM   #4
air-cooled

Cooper's built crop and orchard sprayers, so this might have been on one of these outfits.

Phillip
Old 01-05-17, 08:21 PM   #5
Appletop

They did, and it's got a sprocket so probably was of a spray set Phillip.

Old 01-05-17, 08:24 PM   #6
air-cooled

It's a reasonable assumption I think, Rob.

Phillip
Old 01-05-17, 08:41 PM   #7
Dan_pt
Forum Supporter 2011

That is lovely. I had one a couple of years back and it was a lovely runner that sounded great with a really nice exhaust note, as Rob has said, they are somewhat heavy!.

Dan.
Dan_pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-17, 10:01 PM   #8
2010macjac

Thanks very much chaps interesting about being on a sprayer I remember seeing one a few years back on a sprayer driving a triple ram pump and I think that was chain driven.

The engine won't budge at all on the flywheels and the castings are a bit rough but I love it already!

I must say it does weigh a fair amount it came a a bit of a supprise to the loading ramps! I have 4 big cast wheels hear I have been saving for such a project to mount on so moving shouldn't be to bad.
Old 04-05-17, 10:06 PM   #9
2010macjac

Default work has started

ok chaps I have started breaking down the Ruston and to be honest the news is not good, so here goes...

The water jacket is half full of rust (I mean half way up the cylinder) and all head waterways are blocked.

I removed the mag hoping that it was the cause of the engine being stuck, and found the mag to be completely stuck, however the engine would still not budge. oh well it was a long shot!

so the fuel tanks came off to find a hole in it. then the crank door came off, to reveal a nice clean crankcase. with the big end loose the crank would rock so I moved my suspicions to the piston.

next the head came off without any problems and I could see no rust in the cylinder, so with plenty of wd40 I managed to get the piston moving to the top (having been stuck at the bottom) then with the big end cap off the piston was removed to reveal 3 stuck rings and a very dry and lightly scored piston. The rings freed off quickly and were full of carbon, the piston was cleaned all now looks good. however there is some bad pitting to the top of the cylinder and even after with no rings the piston will not move freely in the cylinder!
20170504_193250 by John Clare, on Flickr
I am pleased to say the crank and big end look ok and should be fine, I have also found no lift at all in the mains
20170504_193425 by John Clare, on Flickr
the only thing I am bothered about is the correct big end bolt has at some point gone missing!
20170502_195821 by John Clare, on Flickr
whilst cleaning up and putting tools away I noticed the head casting has a funny shape to the underside, once the oil, grease and filler was removed it revealed this mess...
20170501_182410 by John Clare, on Flickr
Any thoughts chaps or have I brought a very expensive flower pot!
Old 05-05-17, 07:32 AM   #10
Appletop

I'd say it was good progress.

Bore will probably clean up with a good hone, then take stock of the pitting, missing big end bolt isn't an issue unless it's caused damage when it fell out, mag can probably be rebuilt and the head can be cleaned up and if needed repaired.

All in all not too bad.....