UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister A & B

Old 08-07-15, 05:32 AM   #1
Great North

Default Lister B No. 38037

After what maybe one of the longest restorations, which started in 1973, yesterday I finally welded the broken starting handle of my Lister B, put some copper pipe between fuel tank and carb, put some fuel in and hey presto she fired on the first swing and ran for 10 minutes!! Many thanks to Allan Grieve for his help and to David Edgington for dating the engine. In 1973 I was given the engine partly dismantled and as a 7yr old stripped it down completely as 7 yr olds do (i.e., all hell and no notion). The Maizac(?) Main bearings were knackered so my father machined new brass ones and metal sprayed the crank and thus it stood in boxes in the barn until this year. The frost had pushed the bottom of the hopper out - see pic - as well as the plug recess so I let a plate in having used the bread board as a former - wife hasn't forgiven me because that went up in smoke as a consequence! and brazed the plug inlet. The centre of the flywheel was smashed out so I bored it and sleeved a new centre into place. It was missing valves which Allan Grieve kindly advised on how to get around. Though Allan offered me a mag one came up on the dreaded fleabay the same day, Allan let me have a chain guard, Frank's Tanks supplied a tank and that was it.The rest is as you see. She runs very sweetly and has since started everytime first swing. Now to the myriad other projects which are emerging from my Father's barn!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0271.jpg (48.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Lister 001.jpg (63.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Lister 002.jpg (59.8 KB, 81 views)
Great North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-15, 11:55 AM   #2
2010macjac

Well done lovely engine I would love to own a B let alone a single flywheel one!
Old 23-07-15, 08:29 PM   #3
allan grieve

Default Lister B

HI
Good to hear you got the engine running Will you manage up to Scone with it?

ALLAN
allan grieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-15, 07:13 AM   #4
Great North

Allan,

Yes I would love to come up as previously discussed. Can you let me have details of whom I should get entries from and confirm date. I'll try and come up with my pal Norman whatever. Many thanks, Matthew
Great North is offline   Reply With Quote