UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister A & B

Old 25-10-15, 07:56 PM   #1
brianl

Default Lifting a Lister A twin flywheel

Is it ok to lift a lister a by slinging with a sling through the flywheels.
Thanks Brian l
Old 25-10-15, 08:04 PM   #2
Lister M

Brian,

I have done that without any issues, put a strap around the head to stop the engine turning turtle.

Martin P
Old 25-10-15, 08:18 PM   #3
Dan_pt
Forum Supporter 2011

I lifted a hopper cooled A with a strop wrapped around the narrow section of the cylinder. The strop was threaded behind the valves and lifted the engine easily and safely.

Dan
Dan_pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-15, 09:25 PM   #4
Billy Purves

Its not a thing I would do, I would prefer to do the same as Dan.
Billy Purves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-15, 09:47 PM   #5
Lister M

gentlemen, We have two methods of how to lift a Lister A, I'm not suggesting that my method is the correct one but it lifts the weight of the engine from two points and is balanced, as long as the hopper is also supported, if you look at the second method of lifting the engine, wrapping a strop around the neck of the engine, you now have an unbalanced load across one of the thinnest sections of the engine with two independent loads applying a bending motion about the neck of the cylinder.

Martin P
Old 25-10-15, 09:52 PM   #6
danthetangye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister M View Post
gentlemen, We have two methods of how to lift a Lister A, I'm not suggesting that my method is the correct one but it lifts the weight of the engine from two points and is balanced, as long as the hopper is also supported, if you look at the second method of lifting the engine, wrapping a strop around the neck of the engine, you now have an unbalanced load across one of the thinnest sections of the engine with two independent loads applying a bending motion about the neck of the cylinder.

Martin P
The static load with a lift on the cylinder is far less than the load under compression and firing. I always neck a strap around the cylinder to lift. It is more stable as you are lifting above the centre of gravity, and you won't bend the crank. I have also lifted Juniors with a lump of wood in the hopper, do this at your own risk.

Dan
danthetangye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-15, 10:57 PM   #7
Karragullengine
Forum Supporter 2013

I wouldn't lift from the flywheels as it is possible to bend the crank and the flywheels will then not run true, it is unlikely but you will see engines at rallies with he flywheels wobbling and it is likely they were bent in this way. Well that is my take on it.
Old 25-10-15, 11:12 PM   #8
pulsechoes

When I lift engines with either the tripod or the engine hoist I start with the hook directly above the engine "centre point" then get one of my cotton ropes, put the loop on the end of the rope on the hook then proceed to loop the rope around any protrusions on the engine ie crankshaft, exhaust manifold etc, keeping it pulled tight and returning the rope through the hook after every loop, until the rope almost runs out then put a couple of turns around the "sheaf" of ropes just below the hook then tie the end off. This method distributes the load evenly on the ropes and keeps the engine perfectly upright. When roping the crank ends the rope goes through the flywheel spokes so no strain is applied to the wheel "rims". This method has never failed me yet and never caused any damage to any engine I've lifted, including some heavy ones!!! (Crossleys, Witte diesel, Hatz diesel etc.)
Old 28-10-15, 09:32 PM   #9
brianl

Now lifted the lister with the sling round the hopper seems to work fine.
Thanks for your help.

Brian l