UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Model Stationary Engines

Old 09-05-12, 11:35 AM   #11
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Thanks Nick, will keep eye on it...

Cheers Steve
Old 28-05-12, 10:46 PM   #12
deverett
Forum Light User

I'm part way through building one of Polly Models Robinson Hot air engines. Their design is -shall we say - loosely based on a no.4 size engine. I've got a lot of photos of the Anson Engine Museum Robinson, but although that is a no.5 size, it can't me much different in outline to the smaller one. Hopefully I can get mine to look somewhat like the full size one. The model design does not have very much of a water reservoir in the platform, so I expect it will heat up quite quickly.

There have been a lot of problems with the castings. Had to return the flywheel and may have to return the cylinder because there were lots of flaws. There must be almost as much Plastic Padding as cast iron in my effort because of blow holes and valleys in the castings. Fortunately there have been no hard spots in the castings. The design was taken over from Maidstone Engineering some years ago and Polly have recently changed foundries for it.

The kit is very complete including fastenings and all sundry bits of metal required. The links, both cast and laser cut items, look nothing like the full size items. The governor on the back end of the power cylinder is just a brass blank.

I have been documenting the build over on Smokstak forum.

Dave
The Emerald Isle
deverett is offline   Reply With Quote