UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > The Workshop

Old 11-11-17, 01:41 PM   #1
novo

Default Oxford Mig welder.

I've had a Murex Tradesmig 160 for 20 odd years. Last night it packed up. (Wire feed problem i've had on & off for a while now) Looking at alternatives i came across an ad for the Oxford Mig sets. My (then future) wife bought me an Oxford arc set for mt 21st birthday which i still have (wife too)50 years later. Has anyone on here used oxford mig sets?? Any remarks on them please?
Old 11-11-17, 05:32 PM   #2
Robotstar5

Oxford migs are (unusually today) built in the UK by TecArc who also do the Portamig range, both are transformer based ranges so not loads of electronics to go wrong. Another make to consider is GYS, their smartmig has a good reputation with serious hobby/semi-pro welders.

Link to Porta mig

Link to GYS 162

The mig welding forum has info/advice on hobby welding kit (mods - feel free to delete link if not allowed)

Stuart.
Old 11-11-17, 05:44 PM   #3
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

The Oxford stick welders were/are very solid machines, I haven't used their MIG range.

We have a semi-professional 250A Oerlikon MIG welder which we find great for almost all jobs, we run it with a full-size bottle on the back.

It needs a 32A single-phase supply so we keep it at the factory where we have a 64A point.

Peter
listerdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 10:55 AM   #4
novo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotstar5 View Post
Oxford migs are (unusually today) built in the UK by TecArc who also do the Portamig range, both are transformer based ranges so not loads of electronics to go wrong. Another make to consider is GYS, their smartmig has a good reputation with serious hobby/semi-pro welders.

Link to Porta mig

Link to GYS 162

The mig welding forum has info/advice on hobby welding kit (mods - feel free to delete link if not allowed)

Stuart.
Thanks for that Stuart Just what i needed.Didnt know there was a mig welding forum.
Old 12-11-17, 11:08 AM   #5
novo

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
The Oxford stick welders were/are very solid machines, I haven't used their MIG range.

We have a semi-professional 250A Oerlikon MIG welder which we find great for almost all jobs, we run it with a full-size bottle on the back.

It needs a 32A single-phase supply so we keep it at the factory where we have a 64A point.

Peter
Thanks Peter, Its because i've had My Oxford set so long & used other ones at work over the years that the Oxford Mig caught my attention, i didnt know they made them. Your one has a bit of a heavy supply for me. I just changed my gas bottle the day before the mig packed up thats sods law i suppose. I had an account with BOC for 30 years for oxy/acetylene (Porta pac) & welding gas but the prices went up every time & they started taking the mickey with rental prices, so i went to AlBee no rental. Wish id done it years before.
Old 12-11-17, 11:10 AM   #6
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

We have the Albee cylinder for the TIG welder, too much hassle to get the big cylinder off the MIG unit.

Peter
Old 12-11-17, 11:11 AM   #7
novo

Quote:

Peter
Thanks Peter, Its because i've had My Oxford set so long & used other ones at work over the years that the Oxford Mig caught my attention, i didnt know they made them. Your one has a bit of a heavy supply for me. I just changed my gas bottle the day before the mig packed up thats sods law i suppose. I had an account with BOC for 30 years for oxy/acetylene (Porta pac) & welding gas but the prices went up every time & they started taking the mickey with rental prices, so i went to AlBee no rental. Wish id done it years before. The bottles come with a regulator too, so i wont have to buy them ever again.
Old 12-11-17, 11:17 AM   #8
novo

Looking through the links Stuart put on here i noticed a mention of Mig brazing. I've seem mig brazing wire in Machine Mart but surely the mig arc is too hot for that??? Anyone ever done any brazing with Mig?? I wonder if it might be ok for cracked blocks rather than Bronze welding with oxy. Any thoughts??
Old 12-11-17, 11:28 AM   #9
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

https://www.millerwelds.com/resource...brazing-basics

Miller are the largest US manufacturer of welding equipment.

Peter
Old 12-11-17, 01:41 PM   #10
novo

Quote:
https://www.millerwelds.com/resource...brazing-basics

Miller are the largest US manufacturer of welding equipment.

Peter
Thanks for that Peter It says argon gas only so i reckon i'll stick to Oxy for brazing as i cant afford to have a straight argon bottle for the few times i may use it. I' have a good read through it later. Thanks again