UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections

Old 30-07-17, 09:08 PM   #41
eddie78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Sterling View Post
It was canny Eddie, ran well, and the ideal platform for a sound restoration.

The plug could be oiling due to lack of load (D types are prone to it as well when running with too little load). I'm thinking that simply because the engine ran with a pretty clean exhaust.

Paul.
a load will help alot, with the old shoe flywheel loading she settles down and runs really smooth, I am off work this week so will spend some time and refine things
eddie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-17, 06:00 PM   #42
eddie78

Well the re bushed governor assembly went back in today and shes running much smoother, got a lot more control over the speed and when loaded up she reacts straight away, still not sorted the mag coupling yet but now she has 2 bolts bolted to the mag flange and engaging into the drive plate so whilst not ideal it is floating and not putting any stress on the mag or governor.

https://youtu.be/oZQ2LgFjPeM
Old 04-08-17, 10:42 PM   #43
Brian Davis
Forum Light User

Didn't see your request for someone with a lathe till it was too late. If you need anything turned let me know and I will give it a go mate.
Also have a mill if needed.
Brian Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-17, 10:56 PM   #44
eddie78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Davis View Post
Didn't see your request for someone with a lathe till it was too late. If you need anything turned let me know and I will give it a go mate.
Also have a mill if needed.
spot on Brian as it turned out for this job it was probs cheaper buying the bushes than the material, but am sure there will be future jobs in the pipe line
Old 10-08-17, 09:28 PM   #45
eddie78

Well the engine is fully stripped for its overhaul I was in two minds to fully strip it but its the right thing to do, split the block from the sump and empty out a ton of stuff (mainly sand) it was 1.5inchs thick lying in the bottom, found the missing dipstick buried in the slurry,

The engine has been apart at sometime during its 78 yr life as there was a mixture of copper wire split pins and bent nails through the castle nuts,

It is in pretty good order the main bearings have been replaced at some point and have no wear to speak of. like wise the journals are are really good.

Piston is very good as are the rings and bore,

The only issues Ive found so far are the rear crank seal, oil pump copper washer seal, and the conrod small end bush worn.

I am in 2 minds to keep or weld up the frost repairs and what colour to paint her, the orig colour is/was brunswick but fancy something a little different.
Old 10-08-17, 10:28 PM   #46
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie78 View Post
Well the engine is fully stripped for its overhaul I was in two minds to fully strip it but its the right thing to do, split the block from the sump and empty out a ton of stuff (mainly sand) it was 1.5inchs thick lying in the bottom, found the missing dipstick buried in the slurry,

The engine has been apart at sometime during its 78 yr life as there was a mixture of copper wire split pins and bent nails through the castle nuts,

It is in pretty good order the main bearings have been replaced at some point and have no wear to speak of. like wise the journals are are really good.

Piston is very good as are the rings and bore,

The only issues Ive found so far are the rear crank seal, oil pump copper washer seal, and the conrod small end bush worn.

I am in 2 minds to keep or weld up the frost repairs and what colour to paint her, the orig colour is/was brunswick but fancy something a little different.
Sand Yellow for the colour? first thing that came to mind, no reason why.

the frost repair with countersink screws looks really neat, and one to preserve in its own right, the other, I might be tempted to stitch weld repair back to the original shape.

Paul.
Old 10-08-17, 10:39 PM   #47
eddie78

Quote:
Sand Yellow for the colour? first thing that came to mind, no reason why.

the frost repair with countersink screws looks really neat, and one to preserve in its own right, the other, I might be tempted to stitch weld repair back to the original shape.

Paul.
I was thinking yellow seen a few pics of Le Roi's in yellow and they look well. the counter sunk repair does look well somebody spent alot of time doing that
Old 11-08-17, 01:19 PM   #48
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie78 View Post
I was thinking yellow seen a few pics of Le Roi's in yellow and they look well. the counter sunk repair does look well somebody spent alot of time doing that
yep it is a period repair that is an important reference as to how repairs were done back in the day.

Paul.
Old 11-08-17, 01:24 PM   #49
eddie78

Quote:
yep it is a period repair that is an important reference as to how repairs were done back in the day.

Paul.
Yeah know what you mean keeping the history alive
Old 09-11-17, 10:59 PM   #50
eddie78

Well it has been a long long time since I stripped the the G1 down for its rebuild, the last 3 months have flown over , work has been relentless shift changes working over 100 hours overtime every month, so I have only been grabbing 10 mins here and there. BUT its back in one piece and she runs, still some bits to finish.

A quick video of her running before and after. https://youtu.be/ubTGrXCer4k