UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Petrol Engine Section

Old 16-03-18, 09:14 PM   #1
raggy 1

Default Blake OE pump-poor pressure

I've fitted new leather cup washers and checked the valves ect but can't get much water or pressure from it compared to others I've seen at rallies and on YouTube.Out of my comfort zone a bit with this so in need of some help please.Thanks
raggy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-18, 09:51 PM   #2
Lister M

What speed should the pump run at, are the valves leaking and I know youve checked them but are they seating correctly.

Martin P
Old 16-03-18, 10:17 PM   #3
chrismac
Forum Supporter 2011

I had one of those, the valve seals on mine were pushed through the disc with the holes in it, it must have seen a fair bit of pressure in its day, I just replaced them (4 from memory) with thick gasket material, 6mm or there abouts and it seemed to work after that.

Chris
chrismac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-18, 11:11 PM   #4
pulsechoes

I've only had one of these so my experience is limited but I found with the one I had (twice, I might add!) that it seemed to work better when the outlet is restricted, creating back pressure in the pump. I think that they were originally designed for pressure washers. I found what must have been the biggest model that they made at a quarry in West Cumberland, sadly they wouldn't part with it even though it was just lying in the grass. The air chamber must have been around 2ft high and 9" diameter, to give an idea of scale.
Old 17-03-18, 02:02 PM   #5
chrismac
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsechoes View Post
I've only had one of these so my experience is limited but I found with the one I had (twice, I might add!) that it seemed to work better when the outlet is restricted, creating back pressure in the pump. I think that they were originally designed for pressure washers. I found what must have been the biggest model that they made at a quarry in West Cumberland, sadly they wouldn't part with it even though it was just lying in the grass. The air chamber must have been around 2ft high and 9" diameter, to give an idea of scale.
They certainly are meaty lumps, the book I have does have them listed as high pressure pumps,

Chris
chrismac is offline   Reply With Quote