UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Generators

Old 29-12-17, 11:11 PM   #1
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

Default Switchboard Progress Report for 50V DC Dynamo

Switchboard Ready to Test

Made a switchboard from scratch following the design as suggested on here and got some time to wire it in as per Lucien’s wiring diagram.

I have a few more jobs to do including

1. Labels. I need to make labels out of suitable material, e.g. “Field”, “Load” etc. Has anyone any suggestions please for where I can get these please?
2. A decent knob for the rheostat, bakelite or a hand wheel, press fit or grub screw for a 6mm shaft.
3. Weatherproofing, hood/roof etc.
4. I need a lamp to illuminate the board, scalloped brass shade would be nice, or maybe an old picture frame lamp.

Can those in the know take a look at the wiring please and let me know are there any obvious problems please, if it is possible to see from the photo. I am hoping to have a test run on Monday. I may try some continuity testing first. The wiring is 17Amp, the connectors are 15 amp. I am hoping to run 200W to 400W of bulbs at 50V from around 4 to 8 amps.

1929 Ruston-Hornsby 6 AP, 1925 Ruston-Hornsby 5 IP, 50/75V DC General Electric Dynamo.

Last edited by PuttPuttBang; 30-12-17 at 12:16 AM.
PuttPuttBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-17, 10:26 AM   #2
Lucien Nunes
Forum Supporter 2011

That should work! Beware of the possible need to reverse the meter connections.
More later if I get time.
Old 30-12-17, 06:37 PM   #3
Numpty
Forum Light User

A suggestion for Labels is an engravers, sometimes sports shops (trophies), pet shop (dog tags) or Jewellers. The latter probably the most expensive! From memory the labels are usually white with black lettering, the engraved letters filled with paint. You could go for modern plastic, which uses a sandwich of black/white and the engraving reveals the colour below. Plant labels are often made from this stuff.
Numpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-17, 06:45 PM   #4
Chippie

Traffolyte labels
Chippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-17, 06:47 PM   #5
Headless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numpty View Post
You could go for modern plastic, which uses a sandwich of black/white and the engraving reveals the colour below. Plant labels are often made from this stuff.
Trade name is Traffolyte.
http://www.traffolytelabels.co.uk/
Old 30-12-17, 08:09 PM   #6
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Thanks Andy and 'chippie' for the link - didn't know that service was available.

The material may be 'modern' as in still around but it must go back ages as I'm sure I have seen it on quite old items of electrical / electronic test gear and it would look most suitable on a switch board.

By the way, brass scallop lamp shades are also still available - at a price! https://www.lampsandlights.co.uk/mor...f=SHbrass14-BC

NHH
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-17, 10:17 PM   #7
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

Thanks for the suggestions Nick, Andy, Chippie and Numpty, Traffolyte 16 point arial black lettering on white laminate looks just the job, I will mock something up to see what it looks like.

Lucien, thanks for looking at the wiring, the board appears to work well, I connected a 12 volt car battery this evening and achieved readings of 12 volts and 2 amps using a 21 watt car bulb and a 12 volt car battery.

I was not able to test the operation of the rheostat as I believe this relies on the output from the dynamo field to function.

Interestingly when the knife switch is opened or the fuse is pulled, the voltmeter continues to read 12 volts even though the bulb goes out and the amps drop to zero.

Tomorrow or Monday will be the first real test with the dynamo, weather depending. Here is a photo of today's test.

1929 Ruston-Hornsby 6 AP, 1925 Ruston-Hornsby 5 IP, 50/75V DC General Electric Dynamo.

Last edited by PuttPuttBang; 30-12-17 at 10:23 PM.
Old 30-12-17, 11:02 PM   #8
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

Nice work Mark, looks the part!

The voltmeter will continue reading if you have connected it before the switch in circuit, it looks to be across the "incoming" terminals at the board. That's how I've connected any of mine in the past, useful to be able to check the voltage before blowing all the lamps.. because you only make that mistake once with the price of low voltage lamps these days!

If it were mine, the only visual change I'd make is to come up with a more period handle for the rheostat control. A nice big bakelite wheel, that sort of thing.

Looking forward to seeing this under Ruston power!

Phill.

Last edited by wolseley phill; 30-12-17 at 11:04 PM.
wolseley phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-17, 11:35 PM   #9
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

Thanks Phill, I am looking for a decent bakelite knob or handwheel, only problem is it needs to have a 6mm bore (not threaded M6), I have the excellent WDS catalog but nothing suitable in there so far. I would be grateful for any leads.

Here is the wiring diagram I used (courtesy of Lucien), on further inspection I can see the voltmeter is wired in before the switch, which is why it is not affected by it.

I will be using the Ruston IP to test it, I hope it will start first swing as always.

Last edited by PuttPuttBang; 30-12-17 at 11:38 PM.
Old 30-12-17, 11:47 PM   #10
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Are you sure it's not the standard 6.35mm (1/4") shaft?

NHH
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote