UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > The Workshop

Old 14-02-18, 01:15 PM   #71
ListerHA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrush View Post
I failed the 11+ so no metalwork for me alas, had to weed the school garden instead.
Same happened to me. I used to look longingly at the new metalworking workshop only for the use of superior beings, fortunately an opportunity arose to apply for a Tech College entrants exam which I passed with flying colours. 11+ my arse!
ListerHA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-18, 02:41 PM   #72
Lister M

I failed my 11+ and went to one of the best comprehensive schools in the county where they had an excellent Technical Dept with Lathes, milling machines etc, a forge and a fully equipped wood working shop, I then did a four year mechanical technician apprenticeship with day release and then one year of business management.

Martin P
Old 14-02-18, 04:18 PM   #73
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ListerHA2 View Post
Same happened to me. I used to look longingly at the new metalworking workshop only for the use of superior beings, fortunately an opportunity arose to apply for a Tech College entrants exam which I passed with flying colours. 11+ my arse!
Aye, same with me! Most of the class went to do metalwork and myself and four others were sent gardening or litter picking! We were also barred from doing french and music, and the wife wonders why I loathe gardening!!

I only studied vehicle mechanics at tech so no lathe work available there, and none of the garages I worked in had any either as it was all farmed out to other firms. We did have a large forge with a lovely electric blower at the quarry garage though, it was installed in the 1950's when the garage was erected and dismantled again during the late 2000's having never been used!

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-18, 04:33 PM   #74
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

I avoided metalwork at school, a great mistake as it turned out. I was steered towards subjects like Ancient Greek, Latin and Philosophy, which are very little use when it comes to making stuff.

1929 Ruston-Hornsby 6 AP, 1925 Ruston-Hornsby 5 IP, 1920s 50V GE dynamo.

Last edited by PuttPuttBang; Today at 11:33 AM.
PuttPuttBang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:32 AM   #75
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

The inverter is now connected to the motor and mains supply and I have re-wired the motor from Star to Delta. There is a handy diagram inside the connector cover which shows how to do this.I have had help from David from Drives direct who supplied the inverter. Dave is very patient and spent half an hour on the phone with me yesterday. The next stage will be to wire in the lathe controls to the inverter, on-off switches, reverse, foot stop switch etc, but I don’t think this will be too difficult.

I have spent the last week cleaning and oiling the lathe. Fortunately I have a small Lucas oil can that fits the oiling points, and am using 10W 40 engine oil as this is not so sticky as way oil and flushes out the dirt a bit better.

One thing I have noticed is that the tool post is only 1.75” high, and I would think is from a 4.5” centre height lathe or smaller. It is no use for a 5” lathe, (see photo) so I have ordered a quick change toolpost suitable for a 5” lathe from Lathes UK.

I have done a bit of research on the magnetic chuck. It is an Eclipse, in good condition with a ferocious amount of magnetism, there is no way you can shift the keeper plate once the magnetism is engaged. It has its uses, apparently, it lets you work to the edge of the work piece.

I have worked out how to change the jaws on a chuck, it has to be done in sequence, 1, 2 and 3. The smaller 3 jaw Burnerd chuck has two sets of jaws that both fit, one internal and one external.The internal set are stamped with the chuck serial number. Interestingly my Burnerd model 35 6” four jaw chuck has reversible jaws, that fit either way.So I feel I have done pretty well for chucks, as I have at least 2 good ones.The three jaw clamps the work piece very nicely.

I feel like progress is happening.

Wiring diagrams

Motor wired to Star (wires from inverter not yet connected for clarity) -

Inverter fits in cabinet quite neatly

1.75” toolpost sits below centre height of lathe. Top slide is “correct” for lathe, according to Tony at lathes.co.uk.

Magnetic Chuck (and no, I won’t be running it like this)

1929 Ruston-Hornsby 6 AP, 1925 Ruston-Hornsby 5 IP, 1920s 50V GE dynamo.
PuttPuttBang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:21 PM   #76
Robotstar5

Looks like you're making good progress

Check what ventilation the VFD needs for cooling as some don't like being in a closed cabinet.

Post up if you need any info/advice on controls (push buttons, switches etc.) as I've been working with them for too many years as an industrial sparky

Stuart.
Old Today, 12:37 PM   #77
chrismac
Forum Supporter 2011

While passing through the photos, I did wonder what you were doing with the stilson, until I noticed it was your magnetic chuck

I should have read the text above the photo,

Chris
chrismac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:59 PM   #78
Lister M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotstar5 View Post
Looks like you're making good progress

Check what ventilation the VFD needs for cooling as some don't like being in a closed cabinet.

Post up if you need any info/advice on controls (push buttons, switches etc.) as I've been working with them for too many years as an industrial sparky

Stuart.
Mark,

I agree with Stuart about ventilation, most of them have internal fans but the cabinet also needs a fan to draw cool air through otherwise they can and do fail through overheating.

Martin P