UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Diesel Engine Section

Old 05-01-18, 01:11 PM   #21
air-cooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsechoes View Post
Nay, lad, this is the one You want!! Far more "metal for Your money".

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322890752780
Surely a bit lightweight without the flywheel

I wonder how he managed to start it without the flywheel ..........

Phillip
Old 05-01-18, 05:13 PM   #22
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by air-cooled View Post
I wonder how he managed to start it without the flywheel ..........

Phillip
Would it actually have had one originally ?
The end of the cranks looks as if it wold just have bolted directly to whatever it was driving. It's not as if there is a cast in mount for a starter motor or a mating surface for a bell housing.

Neil.
Old 05-01-18, 05:22 PM   #23
danthetangye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
Would it actually have had one originally ?
The end of the cranks looks as if it wold just have bolted directly to whatever it was driving. It's not as if there is a cast in mount for a starter motor or a mating surface for a bell housing.

Neil.
There would have been a flywheel. Common practice to be bolted onto a spigot with a stub shaft for an outrigger on larger engine. I expect the scrappies had that away as their crane would pick it up. It's been on ebay off and on for years, but its worthless unless you have one in service so you could use it for spares. Would have been air start.

Dan
danthetangye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-18, 08:43 PM   #24
Dan_pt
Forum Supporter 2011

Wow, that Horizontal is really something...... and way too heavy for me to accommodate.
My mate at work has managed to get both of the injectors working which is a massive result. I have started to reassemble the top end so all being well I may have a start attempt tomorrow. Hopefully it will start and run on both cylinders.

Dan.
Dan_pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-18, 10:42 PM   #25
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthetangye View Post
There would have been a flywheel. Common practice to be bolted onto a spigot with a stub shaft for an outrigger on larger engine. I expect the scrappies had that away as their crane would pick it up. It's been on ebay off and on for years, but its worthless unless you have one in service so you could use it for spares. Would have been air start.

Dan
Found one on youTube, big lump of steel the wheel is, not big diameter but looked about 8 inches thick.

Neil.
Old 13-01-18, 09:41 PM   #26
Dan_pt
Forum Supporter 2011

I have been busy with this engine and it is now all back together. The reassembly went very well indeed, these are a nice old lump to reassemble..... especially as I remembered the lesson from the assembly of by 2YBA, to build cylinder 2 before 1.
Here are some pictures.

The bores are still standard size, despite the amount of work that I was told this engine has done, it has obviously been well looked after.

The heads, these have no gaskets fitted and rely on a metal to metal contact to effect a seal. The nuts were first run down by hand then progressively and evenly torqued in stages of 10 up to 60 ft/lb. It is nice to have clear and proper tightening torques given for a change.

Gerald Garnham supplied the two new rocker box gaskets.

Here is why box 2 must go on before 1...

Top end reassembly pretty much complete..

Here is how it looks now, the awful blue paint was sandblasted of the exhaust manifold...... which happens to be made of aluminium. Ive never seen that before.
Please excuse the terrible quality of the photo, my phone must have had a hissy fit when it stored it.

Initially it refused to start, even with a hot air gun down the manifold. The best I could get was a few impulses and lots of black smoke. It made me think that the timing may be out as it popped up the intake a couple of times. Before checking the timing I fully charged the battery as it was getting a bit flat... charging the battery resulted in an instant start up the next day with no heat or sniff required, it sounds very nice but is only running on one as a seal has failed in one of the pumps resulting in a pathway around its delivery valve. I did try a fiber washer in place of the nylon original but it is obviously unsuitable. Gerald is currently looking for a correct replacement for me. I a looking forward to hearing it run on two. Once it is running properly I will look into recommissioning the charging system it has fitted.

Dan
Old 13-01-18, 10:11 PM   #27
Robotstar5

Didn't take long, it'll be ready to rally by the end of the month

Stuart.
Old 13-01-18, 10:26 PM   #28
Dan_pt
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotstar5 View Post
Didn't take long, it'll be ready to rally by the end of the month

Stuart.
To be honest, it has only really had a top end overhaul. by far the worst part of this engine was the fuel injection equipment, it was in a truly awful state. My colleague has worked wonders on the injectors and managed to get them both working well without any new parts.
One thing that surprised me was how slowly the starter cranks the engine over, even with a fully charged battery. I reckon that I could swing it faster with a handle. That said, the starter will start the engine easily on full compression, I couldn't do that with the handle as easily!

Dan.
Old 13-01-18, 10:37 PM   #29
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

It hasn't got a 24V starter, Dan?

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-18, 10:50 PM   #30
Dan_pt
Forum Supporter 2011

No, I checked that it is definitely a 12v motor when I first got it. I have pulled the motor off and checked it over and all appears well with it. It doesn't struggle to spin the engine at all with a decent battery, its just that it appears to be rather low geared.

Dan.