UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister D & F

Old 21-07-16, 10:53 PM   #1
Spark
Forum Supporter 2011

Default Lister D Silencer

Hi Folks,

I need a new silencer for my 1939 D, the old one is the shallow pepper pot sort but am I right in thinking that the correct one for my engine would be the deep pepper pot type?
I guessed they would be fairly easy to find but I can't see one on ebay and stationary engine parts are showing out of stock....

If I'm 'looking with my eyes closed' then it wouldn't be the first time - ask my long suffering better half!

All suggestions for where to get one gratefully received

Steve.
Old 22-07-16, 01:42 AM   #2
'A' Lister

Yes, the deep one would be correct for a 1939 D. I believe the shallow silencer was brought in to save metal some time in the 1950s. The change-over date will be in the late David Edgington's book 'The Lister D Story', but after a very long day I'm too tired to remember it, or leave the computer to get the book from the bookcase and look it up!

This said, my 1940 Lister D has worn an old original narrow silencer to rallies since 1984 and no one has ever commented to me that it's the wrong spec silencer for the engine! The eBay seller 'Rattlenackers' used to sell very nice copies of both types of D silencer, but I know he was talking about scaling down/retiring, so I'm not sure if he's still selling them?
Old 22-07-16, 05:45 AM   #3
Headless

Rattlenackers is as Far as I know now retired and is only selling existing stock on ebay, hence no silencers. He has also stopped doing his stall at rallies.
Old 22-07-16, 12:45 PM   #4
Spark
Forum Supporter 2011

Thanks Joules, I thought the deep one was the original. I've only had one comment about my shallow silencer (over 6 years, nothing like back to '84!) but thought I'd take the opportunity to go original if I could seeing as how the silencer needs renewing anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless View Post
Rattlenackers is as Far as I know now retired and is only selling existing stock on ebay, hence no silencers. He has also stopped doing his stall at rallies.

Yep, I contacted him and he has no plans to make any more silencers....

20:20 hindsight (what a wonderful thing) makes me wish I'd bought one a couple of years ago when I realised my present one was on the way out.

Cheers,
Steve.

Last edited by Spark; 22-07-16 at 12:47 PM.
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-16, 02:19 PM   #5
Karragullengine
Forum Supporter 2013

Its a shame rattlenackers is calling it a day. I bought quite a few things from him and was so easy to deal with. I had a shallow muffler on mine which looked original but was buggered so i got the shallow type. It sounded horrible so i got a deep type and it sounds so much better with a nice deep thump. Mine is a 1951 from memory.
Old 22-07-16, 02:51 PM   #6
Spark
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karragullengine View Post
..... so i got a deep type and it sounds so much better with a nice deep thump.......
That's definitely what I want

Did you get yours from rattly knackers?

Steve.
Old 22-07-16, 05:42 PM   #7
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

I think that Mac (rattlenackers) slowed down after his wife passed away and he found it harder setting his stall etc up on his own. He is well in his 70's so entitled to take it easier now. His fuel tanks were really well made and he was selling some of his old stock Lister D tanks off a couple of years ago quite cheaply. He didn't suffer fools though and could be a trifle blunt, but if you were right with him then he was right with you!

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-16, 10:11 PM   #8
wfb26

Default Mac

I had bought a few things of him. he was a man that said if you were not happy you can go else where. I got on well with him. a spade was a spade to him take it or leave it. he will be a big miss at the rallys.
wfb26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-16, 10:46 PM   #9
listerlad

Location: Sat in the Garden of England, enjoying the sunshine

I have a narrow Rattlenackers scilener on my lister D, at the time I thought it to be 1951 on brought the narrow type to find out it was 1945, I'm not changing it now, no one says anything.

Ollie
Old 22-07-16, 11:33 PM   #10
Spark
Forum Supporter 2011

All very good and I'm sorry that Mac's knackers no longer rattle in the way that they used to... but... has anyone got a helpful suggestion as to where I might get hold of a deep pepperpot for my poor old D??

Cheers,
Steve.