UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Generators

Old 07-01-17, 07:37 AM   #1
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

Default Delco Light

Up until a few weeks ago, I had some engines tucked away in the back of a shed that I stored a lot of recycled timber, including two 850 32 volt Delco light lighting plants, neither complete,
However after I got them out I realised that I could get one complete. about the same time I was talking to another collector about an early Lister engine, it turned out he also had two, neither complete, this sparked my interest as I would be able to help him out

I made a start and dismantled both then assembled all the best bits Then another collector heard that I had this project underway and gave the remains of another one this one had good intact main bearings so now I should be able to get two going.

I had some communication on Smokstak with an enthusiast of Delco's and he out me on the right track. He told me that they had two weaknesses, the electromagnet starting coil and the ignition coil. Both were faulty but the spare ignition coil was good and was fitted along with an external condenser.
Once all assembled and the circuits worked out, it fired up and would run with the starting tab held up. I can get new starting coils from the US. I will also need another for the second one. I will have to use a modern coil and condenser also for the second one also.

I have finished a base and muffler for it and when I get three 12 volt batteries all the same I will make the battery box and set up the lighting.
At the moment I have three 12 volt 40 amp bulbs in series and everything works perfect. I am pleased with the result.

I have learnt a lot about these units in a short time. Here are two photos.

Merv.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by mervyn cloake; 08-01-17 at 08:19 AM.
mervyn cloake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 09:41 PM   #2
Numpty

Nice work Mervyn. The Delco and Kohler sets are very underrated for what they are. Compact and clever bits of kit. Just been to look at an 800 watt Kohler set with a mate, who has one the same and wanted to check out what might be missing on his.

Mark
Old 08-01-17, 12:28 AM   #3
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

That looks great Merv. There was a Delco Light just the same at Kingsfold last year, quite an interesting little unit. I assume the gauge on the panel is showing charge/discharge?

Phill.
wolseley phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 09:55 AM   #4
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

The Delcolite is all finished and running and doing all it is supposed to do. I have set it up with three 12 volt batteries in series of the same size. that actually is a good 37 volts but the unit can handle that easily as it can charge up to about 50 volts and 30 amps.

I have three 12 volts light bulbs to draw off some power, they draw 5 amps so it doesn't take long to recharge the batteries. I most likely won't rally it as can only run for short periods unless I can find something that draws more current. To give it exercise I will hang the light box in one of my sheds that doesn't have good light, use it, and from time to time run the generator. It is not an automatic start but it does stop when the batteries are full.

The guy in the US who was going to provide me with a starting coil let me down, so after a few inquiries I was able to get the wire and wind my own. I made a jig and adapted my wood lathe to hand wind all three thousand turns of it. The very fine wire was hard to see and hard to wind even but as it turned out it didn't matter as long there wasn't a build up in one place where it could get hot. Each layer received a coat of shellac. All it is is an electromagnet to hold the starting tab in place until the batteries are fully charged then it drops out.

One last job was to make a cover for the starting switch and wire up a socket for the lights

So that is one more restoration out of the way but still more to go.

Merv.

The coil

[IMG]DSCF5007 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCF5013 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCF5018 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 10-12-17, 11:11 AM   #5
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Very nice Merv; great job!

MP
martinpaff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 06:14 PM   #6
Robotstar5

A nice looking job

How did you keep count of the turns when winding the coil?

Stuart.
Old 10-12-17, 06:32 PM   #7
1956ld1

Good work. What is the purpose of the starting coil?
1956ld1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 06:54 PM   #8
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956ld1 View Post
Good work. What is the purpose of the starting coil?
It's the sensing coil that detects if a load has been put on the output, which then starts the set up, similar to the Lister Start-O-Matic, I believe.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 07:07 PM   #9
1956ld1

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
It's the sensing coil that detects if a load has been put on the output, which then starts the set up, similar to the Lister Start-O-Matic, I believe.

Peter
Thank you.
1956ld1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 08:26 PM   #10
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotstar5 View Post
A nice looking job

How did you keep count of the turns when winding the coil?

Stuart.
1 2 3---- opps lost count.

Actually i only counted in 100's and marked them off. It took a while.

Merv.