UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Restorations Section

Old 20-11-15, 07:50 PM   #431
'A' Lister

Snip:
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinpaff View Post
At some point in the future some "bright young thing" will be telling the whole world that they were fitted to the early lamps and are very rare!

MP
Nonsense, they can't be rare Martin, they haven't been found in a barn!

Just wait till one gets separated from its engine... and turns up on some TV antiques programme as a Victorian poaching pan for quail's eggs!

Last edited by 'A' Lister; 20-11-15 at 07:53 PM.
'A' Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-15, 07:53 PM   #432
Lister M

Jules,

There is also the fact that the market has just been flooded with a load which will reduce their value.

MP mk1
Old 20-11-15, 08:56 PM   #433
danthetangye

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'A' Lister View Post
Snip:

Nonsense, they can't be rare Martin, they haven't been found in a barn!

Just wait till one gets separated from its engine... and turns up on some TV antiques programme as a Victorian poaching pan for quail's eggs!
I'll get some copy cast and stick them in the shed... All part of pension planning, they will be worth a fortune in 20 years time.

DH
danthetangye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-15, 01:56 PM   #434
Petter Mad Me
Forum Supporter 2012

Well Hornsby starting lamp eggs went well, I'm just wondering when Martin will be bringing out his next range of cookware?

Kev
Petter Mad Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-15, 09:02 PM   #435
'A' Lister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petter Mad Me View Post
Well Hornsby starting lamp eggs went well, I'm just wondering when Martin will be bringing out his next range of cookware?

Kev
That's not a poached quail's egg! How very non-U.
Old 07-05-18, 04:04 PM   #436
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

The Hornsby will be attending a couple of shows this year, so I decided (on the hottest Bank Holiday Monday on record!) to address the issues with the tight crank.

I had been convinced that the problem was the tightness of the crank between the main bearings, but as soon as I had dropped the big end the crank was free. The end float is only 8 thou, but it's something, and not the reason the engine was tight.

Since the only thing I had disturbed was the big end, it didn't need Gregory House to diagnose that the big end was too tight! I cleaned up the crank journal, scraped the abraded areas of the white metal shells, and put it all back together...

Now, the slightly odd thing about the Hornsby big end is that the steel bearing cap and conrod don't close on each other; there is at least 1/4" gap, and only the white metal shells close. This means that they are very susceptible to squeezing the soft bearing shells and closing up on the crank pin. The big end bolts must be just nipped and no more, with a lock nut and split pin.

When I had finished ferttling about the engine was lovely and free, but with no discernable slack anywhere. The only logical thing was to try it!

Just a quick burst of (poor quality!) video.

Everything worked well, and when I stopped the engine after about an hour, it was free and bouncy - I think that job can be considered a success.
The truck is there because the grass is still soft and we couldn't move the engine by hand.

It's now back in the garage, ready to come out in time for Beaulieu, and everything after that.

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-18, 10:01 PM   #437
Petter Mad Me
Forum Supporter 2012

Lovely engine, glad you got the bearing sorted out.
We had ours out this weekend and had it running for a few hours, only real issue is the amount of fuel that leaks out the pump, did you put o rings in your pump?

Kev
Old 29-05-18, 07:02 AM   #438
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Hi Kev.

Have a look at post #348 - I filled the gland with 5 Viton O-rings in place of the gland packing. They are a convenient metric size which is fractionally too large for the outer diameter, and slightly too small for the pump element. They have worked perfectly and the pump hasn't leaked a single drip since.

MP
Old 29-05-18, 08:08 PM   #439
Petter Mad Me
Forum Supporter 2012

Thank you Martin

I took our pump to bits this evening, looks like the pump is slightly bigger than yours, I have ordered some o rings, see how we get on.
We have also got a slight leak on the injector but Iím not sure we want to touch that, itís been done up tight and the flange is bent.

Thanks again for the info.

Kev
Old 29-05-18, 08:44 PM   #440
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

The flange is usually bent! Mine also leaked, but eventually it seated itself and stopped leaking.

MP