UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister A & B

Old 11-10-18, 04:09 PM   #1
Cycloid

Default Reunited with an old friend

It was necessary to make provision to store the old Lister away as the dilapidated outbuilding in which it was stored was being pulled down to make way for a posh new garage. The new garage is now complete so I went down to my Friend's house where the engine was being stored and brought it back to the new garage. After all the checks and fresh fuel the old thing cracked into life on the first attempt
I ran the old boy for a few hours but noticed the pepper pot exhaust was rattling. A few days went by and I had the urge to run it up again. After a few minutes the pepperpot blew off the end of the silencer stub.
I removed the manifold/silencer stub and attempted to remove the exhaust collar from the silencer stub, lets just say I haven't been sucessful yet.
However, the flange {where the silencer connects to the head} isn't in the best order. I have placed an ad in wanted for one of the same. At the same time I will have to purchase a new pepperpot, stationary engine spares have got these for 30 but these are unpainted; is there a better replacement available?

Many Thanks,
Graham

Last edited by Cycloid; 11-10-18 at 04:17 PM.
Cycloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-18, 04:30 PM   #2
Cycloid

Default Update! The penny dropped!!

On my engine the exhaust flange and pipe have been welded together. Because I am no expert I assumed {incorrectly} that this is how the part is supplied, now that I study the 'stationary engine spares website picture carefully I can see the pepperpot exhaust screws directly into the exhaust flange that they also sell. As it is they are out of stock of the flange so the old Lister is off the road for now I must remember that because of the age of these engines {mine is 80} they could well have been cobbled in order to be kept working.

Must try harder
Old 17-10-18, 04:49 PM   #3
chrismac
Forum Supporter 2011

I made an exhaust, a bit of plate shaped and drilled, a 1" pipe which had a bsp thread on one end, welded the pipe onto the plate then screwed the new exhaust pot onto that.

Anyone near you who could help you with this?

At the end of the day you can have the exhaust how you want it,

Chris

Last edited by chrismac; 17-10-18 at 04:53 PM.
chrismac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-18, 05:11 PM   #4
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

A one inch BSP flange from eBay or a local supplier would sort it out cheaply enough.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-1-2-3-4...TjOw:rk:2:pf:0
Or
http://www.pipefittingsdirect.co.uk/...37_Flange.html

Neil.
Old 17-10-18, 10:30 PM   #5
Cycloid

Hi Chris,
Thank your for your help. I had misunderstood how the components are assembled on the engine. It seems that the exhaust flange is fixed to the cylinder head via the two studs and the exhaust assembly complete just screws in. I have a lathe so if push came to shove I could make a flange and as you rightly point out the pipe can be more or less what you like. One of my problems is TIME or lack of it, I have a lot on my plate at present. I have asked S E P about the parts I need, presently they are awaiting stock of the flange. For now I'll wait for the parts come into stock at S E P, then get the old chap running again.
This is the only engine I have, I would like to do a little work on it to perhaps bring it up to show standard. Again thank you for taking the time to reply.

Graham
Old 17-10-18, 10:43 PM   #6
Cycloid

Hi Niel, I have had a break from the forum because I had to store the old engine away for a while. As I said in my reply to Chris I had misunderstood how the thing should be assembled. I have now contacted S E P, presently they don't have stock of the flange but I should have the old thing up and running within a few weeks.
If I couldn't get a flange I could make one {but would have to make the time as well}. I am very keen to get the old Lister as smart as I can especially as I have a new garage to house it now!

Regards,
Graham