UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff

Old 29-12-18, 10:56 AM   #1
Regs

Default Cheap Moguls

Picked up these not long ago paid $100 a piece both seized but one is complete 1915 other one 1917 just missing mag can still see original paint and pin striping on one of them. The tag on one of them has the letters NZ next to TYPE, can anyone shed some light on this?
IMG_20181225_174814.jpg IMG_20181225_174631.jpg IMG_20181205_190127.jpg
Regs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-18, 02:11 PM   #2
air-cooled

In the January 2019 Stationary Engine magazine, Merv wrote an article on the IHC M type engine noting that the majority (maybe all) of the IHC M types in NZ are fitted with HT ignition. Now the IHC Mogul is normally LT ignition, but it is the predecessor to the M type. So, after reading Merv's article, I was wondering if the Type NZ on your Mogul referred to the fitment of a HT magneto for the NZ market. This is just conjecture on my part, I'm sure Merv will comment when he next visits the forum.

Bargain find, by the way.........

Phillip
Old 29-12-18, 09:38 PM   #3
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

That is a good score Reg, I have not seen NZ on the tag before. Normally on the tag is CZ for the 2 1/hp engines. I think it is unlikely that it refers to the NZ high tension engines. What was on the other engine?
I have twenty two serial numbers for the 2 1/2, moguls all CZ. None of the other size of engines have NZ either.

Don Robertson, as you know is very knowledgeable about IHC and does have quite a lot of information on the subject. In one of his visits to rallies in US spent some time talking to Charles Wendel. Don Tells me Charles says all our Moguls were assembled at a plant in Wagga Wagga, Australia. Don also tells me that Charles has visited Wagga Wagga and believes this to be true. but it does raise some interesting questions.

The smaller Mogul's do appear to be uncommon in Aussie and most appear to be LT although one owner has told me he did have a HT version once.

At this time IHC had a branch in Christchurch, so why were they not assembled there?

I do know that the Mogul was offered with HT But even in the US there appear to be none with it.

I can't answer any of these questions so the mysteries remain, just as to why all of the early M's have high tension when there is no evidence or record of any ever been built.
There are some with EK Ht mags and some with Amercian Bosch S magneto's Here, but these are built after 1923 and of course are different to the HT engines we have.

The moguls all have Bosch ZE1 and the M's had ZE1 or Dixie. I think the Dixie's were first.

With regard to your question, the best explanation I can come up with someone grabbed the wrong punch.

Merv.
mervyn cloake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-18, 11:18 AM   #4
Regs

The other one is just blank but apparently a mate of mine has seen a few with NZ stamped on the tag one is in Bunnythorpe.
Regs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-18, 09:02 PM   #5
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

Reg, if there are more than yours with NZ on the tag there must be a reason. It may have something to do with being assembled in Aussie. In spite of what Don has told me I still have doubts.
Could check the end of the crankshaft on both to see what their number are. Fortunately the Moguls do have them there, but could be faint The type will be with the number.

Merv.
mervyn cloake is offline   Reply With Quote