UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections

Old 16-05-18, 08:51 AM   #1
Lister Boy

Default Lister G1 piston rings

Hi all,
I've been having a struggle to get Lister G1 pistons rings (standard). I've tried the usual suspects so I was going to have a look at contacting a maker and see how that goes.
Two things;
As my scraper ring is not existant does anyone one out there have one that they could measure for wall thickness?
Does anyone else need any? I'm guessing that this is the only way forward as no-one will want to make a single set.

Should we talk about G2 rings then also?

Mike
Lister Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-18, 09:54 AM   #2
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Who are "the usual suspects?

Surprised if Cox & Turner or FW Thornton can't help.

I'm fairly sure that C & T will make what they don't stock, and they will do a single set.

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-18, 11:41 AM   #3
air-cooled

One of the well known engine breakers has been parting a G1 recently and may have used rings available if all else fails. Check ebay completed items for "Lister G1".

Phillip
Old 16-05-18, 01:15 PM   #4
danthetangye

What are the basic dimensions? Asking for Lister G1 rings may not yield fruit, however if they are the same as something more common (e.g. Lister Junior etc) you may have more luck. Diameter and depth is the important bit, you could always get the piston grooves opened out to suit and/or fit two rings per groove.

How is the bore on your engine? Fitting new rings won't cure a worn cylinder.

Dan
danthetangye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-18, 01:32 PM   #5
miley_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by air-cooled View Post
One of the well known engine breakers has been parting a G1 recently and may have used rings available if all else fails. Check ebay completed items for "Lister G1".

Phillip
Sadly most of the G1 ended up in the scrap yard along with the remains of several D types, A Bradford E/C & Ruston PB 3hp. Somebody posted a picture of all of the remains on Facebook. The sad thing is that looking at the remains, all of the engines had been restored, prior to their demise.
miley_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-18, 02:16 PM   #6
air-cooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by miley_bob View Post
Sadly most of the G1 ended up in the scrap yard along with the remains of several D types, A Bradford E/C & Ruston PB 3hp. Somebody posted a picture of all of the remains on Facebook. The sad thing is that looking at the remains, all of the engines had been restored, prior to their demise.
Not good. I've recently tried to do the reverse. I had a fairly bare Lister D as part of the Bamford deal (see another thread), and managed to put back all the missing bits including the carb, governor rods, handle and tank to make an engine that could be restored if someone cared enough to do so. I put it on ebay for a start of 80, and received exactly no bids whatsoever. Kinda knocks your faith a bit and may be I shouldn't have done this......

Phillip
Old 16-05-18, 02:26 PM   #7
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthetangye View Post
What are the basic dimensions? Asking for Lister G1 rings may not yield fruit, however if they are the same as something more common (e.g. Lister Junior etc) you may have more luck. Diameter and depth is the important bit, you could always get the piston grooves opened out to suit and/or fit two rings per groove.

How is the bore on your engine? Fitting new rings won't cure a worn cylinder.

Dan
From an old article in the SEM, something sticks in my mind that a Lister Diesel shares the same ring size as the G.

Paul.
Old 16-05-18, 07:28 PM   #8
slb10420seac

Try these guys http://www.dlastore.com/e_store/

Their website takes a bit of getting used to but master it and I bet you'll find the. They supply individual rings in so many sizes it fantastic. I've ordered from them three times now and all has been good. They ship from Greece I think so takes a few days.

I needed some +40 thou rings for my Petter S type and they did them - I just had to grind the notch into them. Steve.
slb10420seac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-18, 10:46 PM   #9
pulsechoes

On the subject of Ebay, I put a Bentall Pioneer on recently for what I considered a reasonable price, comparing it to others sold, and in no time at all it had generated nearly 700 "views" and almost 60 "watchers" but no takers. and I thought that they were supposed to be "desirable"engines, obviously not!! It is now on it's way to Nuenen to see if the European guys are interested!! We shall see!! I also have a "customised" Lister D which has had a LOT of money spent on it but am hesitant to put it on "The Bay", most people seem to want things for nothing these days, except the odd suckers who pay crazy money for stuff. "Little" rant over!!
Old 16-05-18, 11:21 PM   #10
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsechoes View Post
On the subject of Ebay, I put a Bentall Pioneer on recently for what I considered a reasonable price, comparing it to others sold,
Perhaps you were unlucky in that you advertised a non runner, when there was a restored and running example available at the same time ?

I didn't watch either, although I saw them both so don't know if the other one sold.

Neil.