UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Generators

Old 24-03-18, 09:29 PM   #1
Shaun_

Default Lister .75kw Help Needed

Good Afternoon All,

I recently brought a Lister D Lighting Set, this is my first generator and when it comes to this i am a bit of a novice, i'm not sure whether it works or not and how to wire everything up, i'll need some help and advice please.

I'm looking for Volt & Amp Gauges
Blade Switches would look nice
Variable Resister

The generator is .75KW, 55 Volts & 13.6 Amps

IMAG0733 by Shaun Coe, on Flickr

IMAG0734 by Shaun Coe, on Flickr

Here is a photo inside the wire box.
What is each wire and its purpose?
Is there a way i can use a multimeter and spinning by hand to check to see if it produces voltage.

I've been looking at Variable Resisters, how do i would out what Ohm rating i would need?

Thank you for any help
Shaun
Old 25-03-18, 10:01 PM   #2
Lucien Nunes
Forum Supporter 2011

First job will be to trace the wiring of the generator. I might have the book for this plant but it is well to check anyway. It is also a good idea to inspect the commutator and brushes for signs of trouble - they act as a tell-tale for armature faults. If all is good, it can be spun over (turning by hand won't do anything) and it will generate without any other equipment needed at this stage. If it is not convenient to belt it up, it can be run as a motor from a car battery. If it motors correctly, it should also generate when the time comes.

Tracing the wiring.
Some units have have letter codes on the terminal lugs, e.g. A, AA, AZ etc which actually tell you what the leads connect to. Yours has numbers instead, which don't mean anything specific, they just correspond to the wiring diagram. There are lots of different possible permutations but simple resistance tests with a multimeter should reveal all.

There are six leads in the terminal box which suggests it is either a compound-wound generator or a shunt-wound one with electric starting. In either case there are probably three pairs of leads with a circuit between them, but no connection from any pair to any other, nor to the frame. I would expect to find:

2x cable to brush holders - armature.
2x light cable to field coils - shunt field.
2x heavy cable to field coils - series field.

You can test for continuity with the low range (usually 200Ω) on the multimeter. The armature will have lowish resistance that will jump around when the shaft is rocked by hand. You will also be able to prove continuity from the armature leads to the brush holders themselves. The shunt field will have a measurable constant resistance, so for example if you find 50Ω between two leads, but nothing from either of those to anything else, you've found the shunt field. The series field will be similar except that the resistance will be very low, possibly too low to give a useful reading on the meter - the two leads will simply appeat to be connected together.

Looking at the terminal box, each lead looks like it wants to sit back down on a particular screw. I can't read its number but the long one (2?) seems to be aiming at the front left screw, then the others go 5-4-3-1-6 along the back. Obviously once they are in place, 2, 5 & 4 are all connected together by the strap, so leave them floating in mid-air while you trace. My hunch is that those three will turn out to be one end each of series, shunt and armature, 1 will be the other end of the armature, and 3 & 6 will be the other end of the series and shunt fields although I don't know which way round - resistance will confirm.

Once you've identified the pairs, switch to the highest resistance range and double-check, that there's no reading from any pair to any other and the frame, then go ahead with refitting the wires to the terminal bars.

Post your findings, also pics of the brushgear if you like.

Pst your findings
Old 31-03-18, 04:15 PM   #3
Shaun_

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your advice, have you had a chance to see if you have a book on this plant set?
I have looked at as many contacts and couldn't find any letters however I have traced a couple of the wire's and checked continuity on all wire on setting you said:
wires 4 & 15 goes to the upper and lower set of brushes both with readings of 00.7.
I did check continuity on the rest the wire's which i found continuity between wire 1-3 with a reading flickered between 28-32 and wire 5-6 had continuity with a reading of 1.1. I hope all of this makes sense.

I did take a couple of photos of the brush gear.
IMAG0014 by Shaun Coe, on Flickr
IMAG0013 by Shaun Coe, on Flickr
IMAG0015 by Shaun Coe, on Flickr

What am i best to check next?

Regards
Shaun
Old 30-04-18, 04:25 PM   #4
Lucien Nunes
Forum Supporter 2011

Hi, sorry, I did not mean to abandon this thread! Life suddenly got complicated and I lost track of various forums etc, only just now returning to where I left off. Have you got it running yet? If not, I'll carry on with some suggestions
Old 09-05-18, 02:02 PM   #5
Shaun_

Afternoon, that's not a problem happens to us all, other then getting the generator mounted I've not really had time to do anything else myself. I'm hoping to get the engine mounted soon so i'll be able to belt the engine up to it and see what happen's.

I was thinking if i attach all the wire's to there respective mount and had wire's coming from the Red & Blue terminal attached to a light in theory should i get a reading from it and should i see light?
Would you have any recommendations for when i get it mounted?

Regards
Shaun
Old 11-05-18, 06:00 PM   #6
Shaun_

I've had a second look at the generator today while measuring up for the belt's and connecting wires i came across these, should of looked harder 1st time round.

Does this make it any easier??

IMAG0106 by Shaun Coe, on Flickr

Regards
Shaun