UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > General Issues

Old 21-02-09, 11:55 AM   #1
3PhaseMotorman

Default 3 phase motor/generator conversion

WARNING! - NOT FOR THE NON-TECHNICALLY MINDED. NOTE THAT HIGH VOLTAGES ARE PRESENT AND ALL SAFETY PRECAUTIONS SHOULD BE TAKEN WHEN HANDLING THIS EQUIPMENT.

Three phase motor conversion step by step.

STEP1, Obtain a 3 phase motor or dual voltage 240/440 volt motor. All 3 phase and dual voltage motors look more or less like this.

Here is the motor plate.

I prefer to use 3 phase motors as they are cheaper to buy than single phase and most motors that are for sale at rally stalls are usually 3 phase anyway.

STEP2, Check your motor is a 6 terminal motor, if 3 terminal don`t bother with it, (its a lot of work to do a 3 terminal one!). The bottom 3 terminals should be connected together, (star connection).

If motor connected like this.

(Delta connection), connect as star.

STEP3, Next test the motor using a multimeter switched to continuity test, Put one probe onto the three linked terminals then touch each of the 3 top terminals. you should get a continuity "beep" on each one.

If one does not "beep" then the motor is scrap as this shows a winding is dead.

STEP4, Ok, first off, connect an EARTH wire to one of the 3 linked terminals to the EARTH pin inside the terminal box. This is essential and if not done you will get an electric shock off the motor body and all other metalwork associated with it when generating! (Believe me!!!).

STEP5 CAPACITORS, most people say to use 25 to 50 uf capacitors on these motors, NO NO NO! this value is far too high unless your using a motor of, say 25hp (18kw)! for the standard stationary engine like a lister D or a petter A, a 1.5hp (1.1kw) or less is ample. Engines going up in hp can use bigger motors, say 4hp (3kw) for lister CS and so on. Even on a 4hp motor 3 x 7.2uf / 440volt capacitors will work fine, (I use 7.2uf for all my motors).

NOTE: Polarised capacitors MUST NOT BE USED!!!

If you use, say 40uf on a 3kw motor you will cook the windings in about 10 minutes! Lowest value capacitors will keep the windings cooler even at high loads. 7.2 uf power factor correction capacitors can be found in 8' twin flourescent lights or you can buy them at any electrical wholesalers for about 4 to 5 pounds each but they MUST be rated at 440volts. (the 240volt ones burn out instantly).

STEP6, CONNECTING TO THE MOTOR, With your EARTH wire in place you can now connect your capacitors to your motor. CAP1 goes to terminals 1 and 2, CAP2 goes to terminals 1and 3 and CAP3 goes to terminals 2 and 3 as in photo.

You can mount the capacitors remote using 6 core cable. (photo just for clarity), make sure the capacitors are EARTHED if metal can type.

STEP7, POWER LEAD, You can now put your power lead in for your 3 pin socket, (best use a RCD type socket).

Your LIVE, (phase) wire goes to any one of the 3 terminals with the capacitors on, this is your LIVE rail. Your NEUTRAL wire goes to any one of the 3 linked terminals, (the star point). This is also the EARTH point for the EARTH wire!, (sounds odd but thats the way its done).

The whole system when generating on a rally field should be EARTHED to a proper EARTH rod knocked into the ground. Unfortunately earth itself is a poor conductor unless it is very wet, and therefore you should bang about 2' of the rod into the field. My EARTH rod is 2 and a half foot in length.

STEP8, When all connected up run the motor on your engine, SLOW at first and just keep "blipping" the engine speed now and then. Have a multimeter connected so you know when the motor starts to generate. The motor will excite itself, there is no need to force excite it. Some motors take about 4 to 5 seconds to excite, some a few minutes.

DONT HAVE THE ENGINE SPEED TOO HIGH AS THE MOTOR IS CAPABLE OF GENERATING 500VOLTS IN AN INSTANT !!, and if you go above 440 volts you will burn the capacitors out.

IMPORTANT: the motor will not start to generate if under load, so keep the bulbs off it until you have 240 volts on the multimeter!

OUTPUT CYCLES: if 50 HZ is needed the generator should be kept within the nearest speed of the motor speed, ie...... 940 RPM = 1000 RPM as generator, 1450 RPM = 1500 RPM as gen and 2800 RPM = 3000 RPM as gen. or you can add another capacitor to one of the other 3 doubling it from 7.2uf to 14.4uf, this brings the cycles up also.

For most lighting boards for displays however cycles are not important. You may choose to utilize all 3 phases, (as in 3 x 240 volts), but if you do bear in mind one thing.

Most safety officers will not take kindly to you running 3 phase from your "home made" generator on a rally field!!!..., Well thats it chaps, have fun but above all BE CAREFUL ! Regards Rich.

Last edited by 3PhaseMotorman; 30-09-10 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Adding Pictures
3PhaseMotorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-09, 12:02 PM   #2
3PhaseMotorman

What happend to my pictures, anybody know? Regards Rich
Old 21-02-09, 12:30 PM   #3
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PhaseMotorman View Post
What happend to my pictures, anybody know? Regards Rich
How did you post them?

I've had a look and there are no images associated with the message, although there are links to images in the text.

Peter

Last edited by listerdiesel; 21-02-09 at 12:38 PM.
listerdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-09, 12:58 PM   #4
3PhaseMotorman

Hi Peter, I think i made the mistake of putting the photos in a private album and not public. The photos are in my profile, can you not unlock them somehow? regards Rich
Old 21-02-09, 01:03 PM   #5
admin
Administrator

Quote:
Hi Peter, I think i made the mistake of putting the photos in a private album and not public. The photos are in my profile, can you not unlock them somehow? regards Rich
Easiest thing to do is to email them to me and I'll put them in. I don't think I can access images to use elsewhere on the forum.

Peter
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-09, 01:08 PM   #6
3PhaseMotorman

Will you need the url numbers? so they are in order, they are on the thread but when you put them in will you know what order they go in? regards Rich
Old 21-02-09, 01:30 PM   #7
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Will you need the url numbers? so they are in order, they are on the thread but when you put them in will you know what order they go in? regards Rich
No, I should be able to ID them from your text.

Peter
Old 21-02-09, 01:41 PM   #8
Invalid_login
Forum Supporter 2011

Pictures should appear from your album as long as you have put the [img code in like this all on the same line :

[IMG]
http://www.stationary-engine.net/for...0&pictureid=50
[/IMG]

to make certain I don't get a visit from Mr Cockup I highlight the text in the box, copy it, then paste into my post - no typing so no brain fade or finger trouble. You have to get it all, right up to the [/img] bit at the far end.
This picture didn't appear because I deliberately put the code on different lines (you didn't do that by accident ?)

Ken
Old 21-02-09, 01:52 PM   #9
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

That's what he has done, Ken.

Peter
Old 21-02-09, 01:57 PM   #10
Invalid_login
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
That's what he has done, Ken.

Peter
Ah.... right, easy one to sort then.

Bl**dy computers, stupid things do exactly what you tell them.

Ken